🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Granddaughters 2nd birthday

jbrowning

You'll enjoy making a rocking horse or a cow and chances are it'll become an eirloom item. I made two of these rocking horses 15 years ago. Six grandchildren and they're still in use. I suggest using Mountain Ash for the rockers being the Ash wood has give. Your granddaughter will scream with joy.

post-20386-0-85135900-1490327186_thumb.jpeg

You'll enjoy making a rocking horse or a cow and chances are it'll become an eirloom item. I made two of these rocking horses 15 years ago. Six grandchildren and they're still in use. I suggest using Mountain Ash for the rockers being the Ash wood has give. Your granddaughter will scream with joy.

Hey Ron, do you happen to know where I can find that pattern?

Thanks

Jim

Yep a rocking horse is a must.  I still have the one my Dad built me when I was 2.  It is over 70 years old and been ridden my cousin, my kids, my grandkids, nieces, nephews and whatever.  It is still ready to rock.

This is a plan I purchased years ago and very close to what my Dad built. There all kinds of rocking things here. A real cute carousel rocking horse for a little girl.  Rocking whales, elephants, etc.

http://www.u-bild.com/projects-childrens/056.htm

Edited by Scrappile

So next month is my granddaughters second birthday and am thinking of making her a rocking horse or a rocking cow (to sit on and rock). Anyone have any suggestions? Also I need one that I can make on my scroll saw because I still don't have a band saw.

Thanks

Jim

I would think anything could be done on a scroll saw .Just more reinforcements.

Hey Ron, do you happen to know where I can find that pattern?

Thanks

Jim

Pattern was acquired from Gordon's Wood Crafts back in 2002. I've attached his contact info and not sure if he's still in business. I've attached a photo of a book cover also purchased by Gordon. Anthony Dew - The Rocking Horse Maker. Beautiful book,even just for the read and info. Photo of rocking horse is one of Anthony's patterns that I started working on and hope to complete within my retirement years. There's just not enough time in a day with so much on the go. But I do have all the body parts cut out of poplar that has been aged for over twenty years. The rockers will be done out of Mountain Ash. When done It'll be mainly a display item. Sorry for the long spiel. Hopefully you're able to acquire this pattern Jim. I had a lot of enjoyment making both.

post-20386-0-32882300-1490468517_thumb.jpg

post-20386-0-58528200-1490468538_thumb.jpg

post-20386-0-90656900-1490468559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron Johnson