Used Hegner... I have a question

Iguanadon

Hi Gang,

See this used Hegner for sale.  Very good price, but I don't understand what he's saying about " the plastic part that controls the table would need to be replaced cause it has holes in it."

I'm not familiar with Hegner's so I don't recognize that part.  What is it, (is it the bellows for the blower?) has anyone had to replace it on their saw before and know what it costs or difficulty in fixing?  

Thanks for any insight and your thoughts on whether it's worth pursuing to buy it.

Iggy

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tld/6053556342.html

Edited by Iguanadon

I think he means the bellows that controls the air is shot.  It definitely has holes in it..  You can go to the Advance Machinery site and see what a replacement costs.  I have not replaced one, but I do not think it is difficult.   I do not know what looks like corrosion at the from bottom of the saw is.  A little concerning.  This saw does not have the tension lever at the front of the upper arm, so I guess the tension is released at the back of the saw. (?) I do not know if that is a problem or not, never worked with one like that.

Found the bellows   https://www.advmachinery.com/products/m14-e-m2-part-number-017-bellows

NOW, wait for more input from other Hegner owners.  There are owners here with much more experience with them than me. 

I do know the Hegner takes a little getting use to, but once I became use to mine, I it has become my favorite saw.  I would not trade it.

Edited by Scrappile

Hi Iggy,

I have a Hegner and from the second picture in the listing you posted I can see part of the bellows on the table. To me it needs a new bellows that is what the seller is trying to say I think here in the uk a new set is relatively cheap not sure about price where you are but here they are around £22 plus shipping, If you have trouble finding a spares supplier where you are here is the link to the UK Hegner site they will probably ship to you. Heres the link https://www.hegner.co.uk/bellows-for-hegner-scrollsaws.html 

:)  :D Frank

Hi Iggy,

I have a Hegner and from the second picture in the listing you posted I can see part of the bellows on the table. To me it needs a new bellows that is what the seller is trying to say I think here in the uk a new set is relatively cheap not sure about price where you are but here they are around £22 plus shipping, If you have trouble finding a spares supplier where you are here is the link to the UK Hegner site they will probably ship to you. Heres the link https://www.hegner.co.uk/bellows-for-hegner-scrollsaws.html 

:)  :D Frank

Forgot to add you may get a little annoyed with having to lean over to the back arm to adjust tension all the time I see this model does not have the quick tension clamp fitted they do sell the part needed but you would need to check whether that model can take the quick release tension arm to make the saw a lot easier to use.

Edited by blights69

For that price you can not go wrong The variable speed motor alone is around is around 600.00.He is either talking about the table adjustment knob might be cracked or the plastic dust shut .That is the only plastic on this saw.For that price i would also look into the blade adjustment arm That is about 175.00 The stand I s about 200.00 and that is includedAll parts can be bought at Advance Mach. in De.If i was closer i would buy it in a minute

Edited by tonylumps

Iggy, I just replaced the Bellows on my 18v Hegner, it is a real simple fix, remove the old bellows and put the new bellows on by inserting the bottom of the Bellows on first and then lift the arm up and insert the top of the Bellows onto the upper arm. The cost of the part plus shipping was around $50.00. I would jump on that saw in a minute.

Mike

One thing I can say about Hegner saws is at least you can get repair parts expensive as they may be.   Advanced Machinery is the only authorized dealer in the USA so they have the only game in town.   I don't know if the parent company has any control over what Advanced charges or not.   I am of the belief that they have a very good profit margin on parts.   That said at least Hegner supports their saws unlike Delta for example.     

One thing I can say about Hegner saws is at least you can get repair parts expensive as they may be.   Advanced Machinery is the only authorized dealer in the USA so they have the only game in town.   I don't know if the parent company has any control over what Advanced charges or not.   I am of the belief that they have a very good profit margin on parts.   That said at least Hegner supports their saws unlike Delta for example.

Advance Mach. Prices are in line with every other Dist. Of Hegner parts .Those of us who own Hegner in the US are lucky compared to other countries who sell there parts.Yes Hegner does control all of there Distributors and makes sure they have any part you need.I have been dealing with Advance way before I bought my saw.They are also a Tormek dealer.

Advance Mach. Prices are in line with every other Dist. Of Hegner parts .Those of us who own Hegner in the US are lucky compared to other countries who sell there parts.Yes Hegner does control all of there Distributors and makes sure they have any part you need.I have been dealing with Advance way before I bought my saw.They are also a Tormek dealer.

Just wondering do you have any information on all the Hegner distributors here in the USA?   I haven't been able to find any other than Advanced Machinery.   

Hey Everyone, thanks as always for the great information and feedback.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  I had the week from hell being on jury duty and on a case that lasted all week... until 7pm Friday evening.

I just checked and the saw is still listed for sale on Craigslist.  It appears to be what I'm guessing is a pawn shop.  It's a 2 hour drive where it is, but worth the trip it seems.

New bellows and recommendations of getting the blade tensioner still make it a major bargain.

Thanks again, I'll let ya know if I grab it.

Iggy

Just wondering do you have any information on all the Hegner distributors here in the USA?   I haven't been able to find any other than Advanced Machinery.   

The only one here in the US.

Yeah that's what I thought.   My point was if you are the only parts supplier in the USA for Hegner scroll saw parts you have no competition and we all know what that means. 

Can someone provide a link for the optional blade adjustment/tensioner that is available for the Hegner?  I am unable to find it on the Advanced Machinery website.

Thank you

Never mind, I found it...

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/m18-v-m18-s-part-number-304-upper-arm-with-quick-release-1

Edited by Iguanadon