Wood around Wichita? Online?

Chunkthekid

Anyone around Wichita know of a lumber yard with a good selection of hardwood?

What about ordering online? What kind of experience have you all had with this? Best places to order?

I want try my hand at intarsia but I'm looking for the right combination of pattern/wood before I start and I am not having much luck finding variety locally.

Thanks

There is also a place on line called Thin Boards that has a nice variety of thin woods for sale. The nice thing about them is they only charge $7.50 for shipping, no matter how much wood you get. It does take about 10 days to get your order but the cost of Shipping really helps, especially if you are ordering quite a bit of wood. I use Sloan's wood working for Baltic Birch if I am not buying I am not buying locally.

Dick

heppnerguy

In the Nashville area I buy from http://www.hooddistribution.com/locations/ They sell lumber that is in the rough and lumber that is 13/16" thick with one straight edge. I buy the 13/16" thick lumber and mill it to what I want. It's so much cheaper that way. Like red oak is about $1.50 a board foot. I am sure where you live there is a similar place to buy lumber. As others have said for a good online place I buy from.  http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

Welcome neighbor. I have had some success at Menards east and at Schmucker Lumbe up by Inman. Online Ocooch Hardwoods have good stuff at reasonable prices fast shipping usually. The handsome woodman in Oregon shows tthe acutal board fut shippin is costly.

Let me know if you find someone closer.

Fredfret

Wichita, Ks

Thanks all for your input.

Fred, I was looking into Schmucker Lumber in Inman. I send my delivery trucks through Inman quite a bit, so ill have one of my guys stop in and take a look for me. Also B&B Lumber's website says they carry a selection of hardwood but I haven't been in to check it out yet. I will let you know what I find out.