Indoor scrolling Question

My shop is in a big room in the basement. Basement has s separate HVAC system. No cold air return in shop.

All tools connected to an Oneida Air System with a cartridge filter.

Also have an overhead Jet dust collector unit which I only use when I do a lot of sawing on the table saw.

Dust control is very effective except for the table saw.

I have been scrolling in my basement since I started, four or 5 years ago.  I used the box fan with furnace filter for most of that time.  Once I started doing some Intarsia, I added a real dust collector.  Than I added a air filter too. 

Edited by GrampaJim

My shop is in the lower level of a split entry. It's an enclosed space, supposed to be a bedroom. Air returns closed off. Use a dust collector hooked to table saw etc. Also run one or two box fans with 3M Filtrete filters. I try to vacuum the floor & cloths daily so I'm not tracking stuff to the family room. Given our temps here in the winter working outside would be foolish to impossible. 

heating a wood shop in northern climates is a problem.  I have an outside wood boiler that is currently not hooked up to anything and though about using it to heat the shop I am going to build.  I'd put radiant heat in the walls and fill the thing with antifreeze, so I would not need to worry about the fire going out during days away from the shop.

Here's mine, suction from top and bottom of table, through the dust deputy, up through the ceiling and into the next room where the (remote controlled) shop vac is located. Works great, the only noise I hear is the suction. The drill press is also connected to this system.

Pete

https://youtu.be/XCWK-yJ1U4A

Pete, your reply is the one most applicable to my situation. I don't have a basement or a detached room or even a room that I can close off from the rest of the house. Do you use your scroll saw in the house, where it is at least somewhat open to the rest of the house?

Pete, your reply is the one most applicable to my situation. I don't have a basement or a detached room or even a room that I can close off from the rest of the house. Do you use your scroll saw in the house, where it is at least somewhat open to the rest of the house?

Kris, my little shop is in the basement, in what used to be a bedroom before our nest emptied... The vac hose goes up into the ceiling and over to the utility room where the shop vac lives. The reason I put the vac in the other room was just for the noise. I can't put it outside here in Minnesota for obvious reasons, but perhaps you could. I also have a little box for painting and spraying adhesives that is vented outside similar to how a dryer vent works, see pic.

post-2119-0-89257800-1490576276_thumb.jpg

I also scroll in my basement. It's not closed off from anything. You could say it's in the mechanical room next to furnace. I have a Fein shop vac that I hook up to scroll saw, band saw, and orbital sander. The Fein is very very quiet. Very spendy also, but worth every penny.

There is a wall that separates my work area and where we hang our clothes to dry. There are no doors, just openings. I have been scrolling for about two or three years and my wife has said she never noticed an increase in dust in the house.

For many years I did all my scrolling in the basement... BUT ... I have a large house over 100 years old... at one time there were 9 apartments in the house until it we converted to a single family dwelling. Because of all the apartments (small ones ) there was a furnace for the basement and another with central air for the top two floors . Each floor about 1500 sq. ft.... When scrolling in the house there was a little dust but nothing to severe (probably due to the square footage

After the flood of 2011 when we rebuilt the house and replaced all plumbing, electrical and HVAC  we added one large furnace but zoned it for the three floors... at that time I added a second story to my garage for cold storage and took one of the three garage stalls and sectioned it off for my shop

I used to be in a basement. I vacuumed a lot. The cold air return was upstairs, so I didn't worry about that. The furnace was in the center of the room, unprotected. One heating repair guy told me I should build a room around it to keep the dust out, so I did. The next heating repair guy was pissed that I did because apparently the room was too small for him. Happy to be in the garage now. My dust collection still isnt' great, but I like the space a lot better than the basement.

Kris, I scroll in a spare bedroom, it's a bit cramped and I'm still trying to get the best layout.  I vacuum a lot, wear a mask, keep the door closed and have slip on shoes I only wear in that room.  Hope this helps.  Living in Alaska rules out a separate bldg w/o heat for the winter.  Any spraying of finish or such I do in an arctic entry with the door to the house closed and the screen door open.

Needless to say I have a very understanding wife and know I'm blessed.

I scroll in the basement, room away from the general "family room".  Don't have a dedicated dust collection system.  Vacuum regularly.  Stick the hose for the vacuum in the opening on my belt sander when using it.  Just recently started using the filters on a fan system.  I would also be the one doing the dusting in the rest of the house  - no big issues there.

I scrollsaw in my dining room.  No carpet, just tile.  this is in a 1 bedroom apt as well so not much space.  

I dont really worry about the dust too much,  Just sweep up when done and thats about it.  Have to keep the saw and table clean of course but thats just part of the sweeping.  I have a little shop vac near the saw so just use that when done. 

if i am cutting like 1: then you need to clean up alot more then if its just a silhouette with some 1/4"  bb of course. 

I would not recommend using a router in the house as it really make a mess. 

Edited by crupiea

​I saw in a spare bedroom.  Ripped up the carpet, painted the floor.  I have an Excalibur with dust collection.  It works ok.  I also have a sand flea, It also has dust collection.  I am not obsessive about it, I don't hear any complaints from my husband.  I am thinking about getting some of those large rubber squares to put on the floor to dampen the noise.  My husband doesn't mind. I do sweep, vacuum, etc.