🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Ying Yang tree project

jaredrussyl

I'm really new to scroll sawing and I wanted to do something challenging (for me). I think it turned out pretty well. Unfortunately I struggled to get my dewalt saw perfectly square. The back of it is smaller than The front. If any one can give advice that would be great. I put a small square to the blade but still not perfect.

post-31323-0-57412400-1490583140_thumb.jpg

Looks fine to me.  Very nice.  As far as square you have to keep trying till you get locked in.  Also remember if you try to cut fast and push the wood and not let the saw determine the feed rate you can bend the blade and that can cause the wood to be thicker on the top or bottom of the cut than the other side.

jim

penquin

That came out great.  Thanks for sharing this with us.  

There are several methods you can use to get your saw square to the blade.  You might wish to get a 2 inch square and that will help get you there.  Another old time trick is to get a piece of wood that is flat but about 1 1/2 or 2 inches thick.  You take this piece of wood and with the flat side to the table make a cut into the side about 1/8 of an inch.  Pull it back turn off the saw then rotate that piece of wood so that the kerf you just created is on the back side of the blade.  If the blade fits the kerf perfectly then your table to the blade is squared up.  I use this method a lot as it is quick and easy to check to see if your saw is still squared up.

DW

It looks really good.. a loose blade or too small of a blade can cause the difference in the top and bottom of a piece. Take is slow and let the blade determine the cutting speed not your desires. also, the hardness of the wood grains can take your blade off course, especially if the tention and blade size are not correct for the piece

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks guys for the replies. I used all the methods I found from YouTube about squaring the blade. What I think happened and mentioned above is I used a to small Saw blade and maybe pushed to hard. It's a inch thick yellow heart. I used #3 reverse Olson blade.

Edited by jaredrussyl

I'm really new to scroll sawing and I wanted to do something challenging (for me). I think it turned out pretty well. Unfortunately I struggled to get my dewalt saw perfectly square. The back of it is smaller than The front. If any one can give advice that would be great. I put a small square to the blade but still not perfect.

Very nice cut and skills doing so!