🐰 Easter - Custom Ornament Business Kit 🌼 50% Off through March 31, 2024 ×

Help & Bug Report

Travis

Howdy All.  I know there is a lot of work that still needs to happen to get SSV back to it's former glory.  I'm going to start a list of some of the common problems and the solution to fixing them here.  I'll update this list as I can.  If you are experiencing trouble, looking for something or want to report a bug, this is the place to ask.

If you are having trouble logging in, you can email me at  travis@scrollsawvillage.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the website.

• Travis pinned this topic

Sign on issue.  Travis I did the cache clear and rebooked the site.  I am using a Windows 10 machine and my browser is Edge.  When I get into the site the first page I see is the Village Page.  It shows me as being logged in.  However when I click on General  Scrolling Sawing I have to log in again to see what is new.

In addition If I get out of General Scroll Sawing and say go back to the SSV page and then go back the General I have to log back in again to see what is new.  

Edited by NC Scroller

I'm on a Mac Computer running Sierra OS  10.12 and using Safari 10.0 to access the forum (usually computer I use - will try iPad and others later).  Like Scott, I did clear my cache and rebooked the site.  I am seeing the same problem with the General Scroll Sawing section of the forum regarding being logged in - see one thread, go back to look at another thread and I am logged out and have to log back in. (haven't tried yet any of the other subsections of the forum to know if its all of them or just this one.)

Not complaining - just giving a ditto so you knew and could look into it when you had a chance.

Edited to add - while it looks like I am "signed out' when I return back to the General Scroll Sawing sub forum - if I simply click on another thread to go and look at it - when I get into that thread, It shows that I am logged in and can reply.  (I had decided to just "look" at threads and only log in to comment if I wanted to comment - which is when  I found that clicking on the thread to review it then showed me logged in.)

Edited by meflick

2 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Sign on issue.  Travis I did the cache clear and rebooked the site.  I am using a Windows 10 machine and my browser is Edge.  When I get into the site the first page I see is the Village Page.  It shows me as being logged in.  However when I click on General  Scrolling Sawing I have to log in again to see what is new.

In addition If I get out of General Scroll Sawing and say go back to the SSV page and then go back the General I have to log back in again to see what is new.  

Me too, using Firefox

@NC Scroller @meflick @DonR @dpchow

So I think this is a caching problem.  The new software uses AJAX (it's a javascript) for dynamic updating.  I think it's referring to a previously cached page if it doesn't get an immediate response back from the server.  I'm going to try to disable it and see if that helps.  I'll update y'all if it works.

In the meantime, if you know you're already logged in, but a page shows you that you're logged out, hold down your Control key and click the refresh button in your browser.  That seems to do the trick for me.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

@NC Scroller @meflick @DonR @dpchow

So I think this is a caching problem.  The new software uses AJAX (it's a javascript) for dynamic updating.  I think it's referring to a previously cached page if it doesn't get an immediate response back from the server.  I'm going to try to disable it and see if that helps.  I'll update y'all if it works.

In the meantime, if you know you're already logged in, but a page shows you that you're logged out, hold down your Control key and click the refresh button in your browser.  That seems to do the trick for me.

Tried the ctrl/refresh trick, didn't help.

I have no button to start new topic in bragging rights or general lol no biggy  I guess it will come back eventually just thought I would mention incase you never knew this bug

Also to see the latest threads I have to go to page 2 then back to page 1 to see the new stuff lol it is all fun and games good luck with it all and so far it is looking good on the new site it is bound to have bugs at first I am not complaining just letting you know what happens to me so you have heads up 

Edited by blights69

Shoot.  I thought that ctrl/refresh would help.  Its working for me at the office and I thought it would work for you guys too.  I also used the same technique at home on my mac.  I'm using Google Chrome and Firefox.

@dgman I didn't get it to work on the iPad either.  I don't know of a way to clear cache either.  I haven't' tested it extensively, though.

The CTRL +F5 does work as does the CTRL +Refresh button on my browser but only one thread at a time.  As soon as you get back out of the thread you are back to square one.  I know you are a one man show and swimming up stream as best as you can.  Only wish there was as way we could roll up our sleeves and help.  

Travis hang in there - you'll figure out the login issue eventually. clearing cache didn't work for me. Some pages say logged in, others don't. Refreshing doesn't change it.

I'm on Windows 10, FF 53.0  Any chance you saved the source code from the old site? Comparing headers might help find why it's not checking for the right things.

When that one's fixed - The Phantom Scroller has a link for his gallery in his sig line, it no longer works, just returns this:

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

I don't know if that means the gallery is all gone, or just that everyone needs to update their links.

Joe M.

16 minutes ago, JOE_M said:

Travis hang in there - you'll figure out the login issue eventually. clearing cache didn't work for me. Some pages say logged in, others don't. Refreshing doesn't change it.

I'm on Windows 10, FF 53.0  Any chance you saved the source code from the old site? Comparing headers might help find why it's not checking for the right things.

When that one's fixed - The Phantom Scroller has a link for his gallery in his sig line, it no longer works, just returns this:

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

I don't know if that means the gallery is all gone, or just that everyone needs to update their links.

Joe M.

I have the source code from the old site.  But it's a completely different version.  I think they updated the architecture of the software.  I'll take a peek just to see if I see anything unusual.

I think that might mean we have to update their links.  I noticed some of the links have different paths now.

If your login name isn't what it's supposed to be, shoot me a message.  Tell me what it was supposed to be and I'll change it back.  It looks like the upgrade changed some user names to real names if they used Facebook login to create the account.

OK...this is dumb.  But, if you're having trouble keeping your login status to stick, try adding a ? mark behind the web address in the browser bar.  It will force the page to reload a new page and not load the cached version.  So it will look like:

www.scrollsawvillage.com/?

It's not a solution yet, but it is a workaround.

Hey everyone I'm having the same problem here with staying logged in. when I login it takes me to another page and I have to login again. After that everything seems good until I click to go to another page or Topic. which makes it hard to know ifs there's any new post from anyone and where. I've deleted all my browsing history and whatever else I could clear but no change.  

TDpainter. 

25 minutes ago, JOE_M said:

I see the ads are all gone too. Is that part of the debugging processes or ??

Yes and no.  I have the banner ads at the top of the forum.  I've been turning them on and off throughout the day trying to get things to work.  The other ads, like Adsense has been turned off until I get everything working again.

Yah, it's not really fixed.  I did a little something to trick the server to generate a new page instead of a cached one. I'm not confident it'll last, though. I think I might have a strategy I'm gunna try. I'm still working out the details and I'll let y'all know sometime this evening. 

Howdy all.  Here's a little update of where we are.  I've been trying to track down the login issue for the last couple days.  What I think is going on is when you click a link, the web server is returning a cached version of that page.  When it does that, the cached version does not have you logged in, and may not have the most up to date posts.  I found if you click the Ctrl+F5, it forces the web browser to retrieve a new page, not a cached page.  It works for me (I'm using Google Chrome and Firefox on PC, and Google Chrome on Mac), but other folks are not having as much luck.  So the solution is to have the web server stop cacheing the pages.  There's the rub.  The hosting company put a restriction on SSV because we're using too many server resources.  During this lockdown, a caching system kicks in on the server to save CPU.  That, in turn, causes all of our problems with the logins and webpages go haywire.  Once we are no longer using too many server resources, the caching stops and I think our login problems go away.

That's great!  Let's do that!  Well, we go back to our original problem:  using too many server resources.  I thought updating PHP, optimizing MySQL tables, and updating the software would help.  While it helps, it turns out it's not enough.  So we gotta reduce our load.

SSV is a great place.  We all know that.  We have a great forum, tons of information, and a huge pattern library.  As such, lots of folks like to stop by.  At any one point, we have anywhere between 40-120 people browsing the website.  However, the vast majority of them are not members of SSV.  They pop in to read the forums and grab free patterns.  As of this writing, we have 100 people online.  Only 15 of them are signed in as members.  Everybody else is browsing as a guest.

Here's the difficult part.  When I started SSV in 2009, I wanted to share as much information about this wonderful hobby as I could.  Share patterns to anybody who wants them.  All of this for free, without registering or logging in.  I was really in love with the idea of a free society and wanted to help as many people as I could.  That mission worked great, up until last week when we hit critical mass.  85% of our traffic is taking up valuable resources.  And the 15% of us who care enough to register for an account and participate in this awesome community are paying the price.  That doesn't seem fair.

In order for me to bring down the server load so we can get SSV back on track, I have to limit what we can share with Guest browsers.  It pains me to do this, but here's what i'm going to do.  The Gallery and Pattern Library will no longer be browsable unless you're logged in.  I think this will make a big difference on our server load.  Guests will be able to see the forums and the topics, but they won't be able to read the topics unless they're logged in.  The blogs, chat room and articles will also be for members only too.  I'll bring back some of the other pages on a case by case basis.  I still want to share information to the general public, as long as it's not taking a toll on the website.  Eventually, I'll release parts of SSV to the general public.  I still think it's important to serve the whole scrolling community.  But we gotta get our house in order first.  

SSV is still free!  You can still register for a free membership.  You'll just need to be logged in to access all the great stuff SSV has to offer.

If we reduce our server load, the hosting company will lift the restrictions.  Once the restrictions are lifted, SSV will operate properly.  Once SSV is working the way it needs to, we can continue to share and chat and enjoy eachother's company.  And hopefully, everything will be back to normal.