How Long Have You Been Scrolling?

Travis

I'm a total newbie - this December will see me scrolling fairly seriously for two years, I have done 1 serious project (a miniature grandfather clock) previously a long time ago with a basic saw and pinned blades. That saw very nearly stopped me ever starting up again lol

Keefie.

Edited by keefie

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear I think I am going to 'upset the applecart'! I reckon I have been doing fretwork longer than most here although I am certainly not an expert.

My history is that My Grandfather was a fretworker back in the period between 1900-1940 when he had a shop selling Hobbies and Handicrafts fretwork items, he used to hold fretwork classes to give lessons to youngsters, he taught my late father who was very good at fretwork. Back in the late 1950's I used to help my dad make Fretwork items (toys and calendars etc) he did most of the work on his A1 treadle machine (which I still have).

I started with a Hobbies handframe and progressed to using the A1 when I was about 15yrs old, around that time a started to make toy farms which I sold to a toy shop near where we lived.

Naturally I have not spent all that time using a fretsaw, I was occupied much of the time with motorcycles and of course ladies; as you do when younger but I have always been a keen fretworker and still am today.

Although I have used Fretsaws for a long time they have been either a hand frame or a treadle machine rather than a motorised Scrollsaw so I am not sure my years count? I have been using a motor powered saw for about 28 years.

I have been using fretsaws for over 50years! :o  

Oh boy... ummm wanna say somewhere around 99 but could be as late as 2003 (I know, that's a huge jump, but I honestly don't remember.)

But I remember doing some scrolling today, though lol.  Scrolled out a shape of Michigan to do a picture frame for my daughter to put a picture in from her trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes this summer.

• 2 years later...

I first used a scroll saw when I was about 8.  That's 65 years ago and the saw operated with a foot treadle (much like my Mum's sewing machine).

I've used one on and off ever since but never to do any of the type of "art" that we see posted here..

Then, about three months ago, I took up the hobby in a big way.  I LOVE IT but it did take me quite a while to discover that.

I bought my first scrolling jig saw at a garage sale in 1974 and started making Christmas ornaments of my own design every year that were dated and I sent them instead of cards.  Didn't have the internet and sure couldn't find any patterns back then.  Guess that makes 39 yrs or the same as my age for me. LOL :o

It would be great if you'd share some of your older designs, no doubt you have samples. Christmas ornaments was were I began.

Started 1991 with a 16 inch Delta  Run the saw every day  and now have Delta  pro 20  it runs evey day for about 6 hours .Heated garage  car goes out saw goes on.  Have over 50,000 patterns  and over 5,ooo over lays for over head projector. Make things from 1/2 tall to  40" tall (turn blade and run backwards for 40")  Mostly use Baltic Birch as place I retired from gave me 3/8 and 5/8 " scrap which was nice    Have some still left and it will still be here when I am down under the dirt.(74  COPD  with bad heart )

Have to take it as it comes and only one knows the answer to that so I ll just keep on making dust    Jerry