How Long Have You Been Scrolling?

Travis

If you count using a coping saw, I started in 1958. I didn't have a powered scroll saw until 1966. It was an old Dunlap saw with pinned blades and was very unreliable. I've scrolled on and off since then, and I'm now using my 6th scroll saw. My more serious scroll sawing began in 1997 and it has gradually become a major part of my woodworking since then. I presently own a Delta 40-650 Q3 type 1 saw and a DeWalt 788 type 1 saw. About 8 years ago I began making 3D slotted ornaments and then tried compound cutting. I don't think I've done very much flat pattern scroll sawing since then. I love doing compound cutting and my favorite pattern designer is Diana Thompson, but I've begun designing some of my own compound cut patterns as well. I've also combined scroll sawing and power carving on some pieces.  

I now teach woodworking to Wounded Warriors, Scout Troops, Church Groups, Fire and Police Groups in an Outreach Program of www.ncwoodworker.net, a virtual woodworking club, to help the members of these groups get started in woodworking. I also demonstrate scroll sawing at Klingspore Woodworking Shows and their Woodworking Stores and I design and build exhibits for the NC Science Museums.

Charley

If they want to count coping saw-- I am at about 65-7 years, not sure!

If it is strictly scrollsaw; I have the one that I bought new in 1953! Although I use it very little now it still works. That will make that saw 63 years old (By the serial # is is a 1952 model) And it makes my scrolling now 62 years!

I still hope to eventually get good at it!

I have worn out 2 Dremels, and now have a type 2 DW788 that is not that old; but showing the use!

Does anyone know where a bearing kit with all of the bearings sis available; so I can have them on hand to replace all at one time.  I know I have several going out!

I think my old Craftsman (elector-magnet- not motor) qualifies as the oldest working electric one here!

I bought my first electric saw from Sears in about 1956 when I was 12 years old.   I think it cost about $20.00   It didn't really work very well.   It just vibrated the pin type blade up and down a little bit.   If I remember right they called it a jig saw not a scroll saw.   My first project was a corner shelf I made for my mother.   I didn't buy my first scroll saw until 1991.   So I guess I have been scrolling now for about 24 years and seriously since 2005

when I retired.

Edit:

I just did a google search and the first saw I mentioned was call a Craftsman Magnetic scroll saw.  It used an electromagnet instead a motor.    

Edited by stoney