New Dewalt!!

After almost 2 years of using my ryobi scrollsaw i finally ordered my dewalt! Took me some sweet talking but it shipped this morning! Excited to have a higher end machine. That ryobi has some wicked vibration...lol.

So from peoples experience how is it out of the box? take some adjusting or runs pretty good?

I've had mine since Mid February and just love it! First when you open the box there will be a warning label that says not to pick up the saw by the arm. so left it out by the base and get another person to help as it is a heavy saw. Once you have it where you want it, then you will find the table in the bottom of the box and you attach that and then you can put in a blade and start sawing. I don't know how I did it but I got mine out of the box and put together by myself. You will find the table and the saw itself is larger than the Ryobi saw that you have. So that will take a little bit of getting used to. Enjoy your new saw and ready the manual and such. Congrats on the new  big yellow saw. I just love, love, love mine! Fay

Hi, You will love the saw-- The light was junk but the rest is fine.

I have had my 788 about 3-1/2 years or so now. I have used it very hard. I cut 2 by 4 and have made a bunch of Hickory 3/4 name plates. Good saw.

Mine has had no adjustment issues other than setting the allen screws that keep blade lined up even with each other. Locktite solved that issue; the allen screws had been moving and it took a while to figure the off side cuts. Pilot error!

One quick and dirty add-on I've done is to make a tape hinge on a scrap piece of wood and tape it to the underside of the arm about 5 inches back. The wood is long enough to stay out of the way on most work, and when I need to change blades or shift to another cut section, it quickly swings into place to support the arm at full lift. Great time saver.

If you got the light, consider upgrading it.  I followed Gary Beasley's recommendation and think it is a great improvement

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/7569-lamp-upgrade-on-my-dewalt-scrollsaw/?hl=%2Bdewalt+%2Blight

You should also get "The Lifter" - see banner at the top.

http://papasworkshop.net/tc/

I think both will add to your enjoyment.

I HAVE HAD MY big yellow FOR ABOUT 6 MO AND USE IT ABOUT 5 DAYS A WEEK AND I STILLLOVE IT I didn't get a light with mine. but I have enough light I don't need it and I have yet found a light that really worked  well. I use a 2x4 to hold the arm up when changing  holes and that works well for me. I have had 4 saws a Dremmell, sears & porter Gable and this is the best. 

IKE

You will be in ecstasy when you try it,well worth the wait.How I scrolled for years and years with inferior saws was unbelievable but enjoyed every second! :)

thats what i am hoping for. Looking at what i have done on the ryobi and the vibration and tempermental nature of that saw. i am excited to see what i can do with the dewalt. im sure my wife has some elaborate things she wants cut for her sunday school classroom..lol. Was hoping to have it this weekend. oh well...waited a year or so. whats another few days right?

Well did the saw ever come yet????? Hope you are enjoying it Fay

Got here last night :) got it put together...wow this saw is a lot bigger than the one i was using. Not sure if i like the stand or not. will need a stool in order to sit at it.

Fired it up and made some random cuts...wow..this saw is so quietband smooth. found myself going to far into corners..guess just like everything else there is a learning curve to how the machine runs.

wish i didnt have to go to work today :( Haha

So happy you got it. I didn't order a stand for mine as I like to stand when I scroll. Mine is on the bench and that is nice and sturdy and the saw table comes about chest high and that is perfect for me. Never tried sitting and scrolling. It is amazing how much larger it is compared to the saw I used to use, but the Shop Fox can be fixed and then I would have a back up but don't know when I'll get that done yet. I need to get my drill press fixed so I can use the bevel and that bolt is in there so tight it stinks. I may one day get a better one any way so I might as well use it the way it is. I have used my forstner bits on it and those work really well especially when I need a large hole for things like bird houses and such. Enjoy your new Big Yellow saw and make lots of sawdust... Fay

• 2 weeks later...