New to forum

Becky

Dear Becky, is there something special about a pattern magazine that interests you?

Magazines are good but they can't answer a question you may have. We can I think.

How to Produce best stuff?

1) Good tools

2) good materials.

3) patterns from Scroll Saw Village Pattern Library  and scrollsaw workshop and magazines

4) Patience and practise, practise, practise

5) ask questions 

Please tell me what type saw you have.

Hows your workshop equipped

Have you made any sawdust?

Have you toured Scrollsaw Village.

Welcome to SSV

Larry

Hi Becky welcome to the Village. I am Marg from Australia. With magazines you would be better off subscribing to the magazine of your choice that way you will always get it. Even in Australia we have to subscribe because on some newsagents stock them. But please check out the free patterns in the library and if you still can't find what you are looking for just ask and one of our brilliant pattern designers will make one for you.

Marg

Becky,

my suggestion would be to start with some rather simple patterns and when you are thinking "I can do this.. and it is fun too" , then it is time to push the envelope and try something a little more difficult. Pretty soon you will be confident to try anything you want. Don't rush things and be careful not to try to push the blade to side when you need to go another direction. Let the blade do the  work by aligning  your cut to the front of the blade.  Welcome  to The Village, Don't be shy about posting a project you have made here. Everyone of us started out from the beginning and we understand the difficulties that you may run into from time to time because we all are still learning, every day.

Dick

heppnerguy

At moment I am using a scroll saw made by Ferm, I bought it just to do a little project for my wedding but have since found Steve Goods website so have been getting into things more. 

I have made some of the christmas ornaments and name keyrings and feel I am getting better each time, When it comes to painting/varnishing, is spray varnish a good thing to use or is it best to paint it with varnish?? Also which paint is best??? I am currently using gloss acrylic, is it worth spraying with a primer??

Hi Becky a big WELCOME from me. Check out the pattern on here there are loads and free any questions just ask and I can guarantee you will be answered. There is a loads of brits on here what part are you from?

Roly 

I am currently living in North Wales, Where are you from?

Becky it's down to preference of the person I use spray gloss lacquer from hobbycraft and they have some non toxic paints acrylic and gloss which is paint on and spray on worth a visit. I don't use primer I use a wood sealant. Roly

Becky if you click on the Avatar you can see info of person mine is underneath.

Edited by Phantom Scroller

My scroll saw takes pin headed blades, so to get the saw blade through my project I have to use the 5 drill bit, is the another way or another type of blade i can use because sometimes using the number 5 drill bit is bigger than the part i need to cut. Hope that makes sense

Yes Becky makes perfect sense I think at one time or another we all owned a pin type saw now some saws will allow both types and some saws you can convert to pin less type not sure of yours but check with your manufacturer to see what they recommend you do. When you get into finer detailed work as you all ready discovered you're going to have to drill smaller holes and with the pin type your blade just won't fit. I had one of those machines 20 years ago and I know its a lot of work for 1 hour of usage before the blade is dull any way, I had a machine shop grind of the pins for me and re drill the blades and install a portable pin in them for me and I would only use those for special occasions like Sunday's and Christmas Other than that I don't know what else to suggest except for stick to outside cuts for now until you decide this is what you like to do as a hobby and then invest in a better machine.

Edited by Bendita

Which is the scroll saw that you would recommend?

Excalibur EX-21 If you have the money if not start with one with a quick release blade attachment and pinless blade holder there all much the same in the cheaper versions but you will find a big difference between them and the EX-21.

Becky,

Go to  "General Scrollsawing"

in the upper right is a 'search' panel.

do a search for  "Which scrollsaw do you use?"

Read some previous posts and make your own decision.

You can do searches on many things like  "scrollsaw names".

Lot of good saws.

When you make a decision, post in General Scrollsawing your choice.

Just for fun, see what the members say. Most likely all will support your

decision as long as it is pinless with variable speeds.

Larry

Excalibur EX-21 If you have the money if not start with one with a quick release blade attachment and pinless blade holder there all much the same in the cheaper versions but you will find a big difference between them and the EX-21.

I'd second Roly on that - Excalibur are a pleasure to cut with. There are a couple of others at the top end of the market that are equally good, but I chose EX-30 after researching for quite some time. (Axminster Tools are the best dealer here in the UK)

Kindest Regards,

Nick

Edited by Nick@tinkers-cove

OH BOY HERE WE GO!! Lol :scared:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

We all love the scroll saw we have and are all biased to them. I have a Hegner that I have fell in love with. Now there are many top of the line saws out there that if you have the $$$$$ are wonderful saws but there are some good beginner saws that will serve the purpose also.

I am sure you are going to get a lot of response to your question but if it were me I would do a search of the forum for scroll saws and do plenty of research.

Good luck and happy cutting.

OH I ALMOST FORGOT WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE

Edited by Wilson's Woodworking