Delta SS350

sblasiol

Hello,

I am new here.  I have never used a scroll saw before, but I recently purchased a used Delta SS350 for pretty cheap.  I got it home and started trying to figure out how to put a blade in and I took apart the top and bottom "Quick Release".  Well, the spring for the top quick release went shooting across the basement floor and I spent an hour looking for it.  Anyway I ordered a new spring, but I still do not know how to get the blade into the machine.  The manual is pretty horrible and it says to push the quick release back and feed in the blade.  Not very helpful.  I don't even know what lenght of blade I should be using and if I should be using the ones with the little pins at the top or not.  If anyone who has experience with this machine wouldn't mind helping me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Steven, The Delta SS350 does use pinless blades.
Here is some (useless) data I found about it.

Delta included quick clamps top and bottom. No more reaching over the saw to adjust blade tension. The tension adjustment is at the top of the upper blade clamp. No more piles of saw dust building up under the saw as this saw has a built in dust collection port. This saw is a joy to use. I have cut mostly hardwood from 1/4" to 1-1/4" and the variable speed allows precise cutting.

• www.deltamachinery.com
  • › Home
  • › FAQ

Larry

Edited by LarryEA

i too have seen work done on the ss350 and could not believe my eyes .this is the saw that inspired me to do word art from a member! Delta have my favorite CLAMP blade holder too .Which are especially good for holding spiral blades.All i can tell you about the blade holders is you open or close the little arm that holds the blade.If i remember right from my ss250 you could make it tighter with a screw driver but then you risk it popping open unexpectedly and losing the jesus spring.the jesus spring is just a name i call it as when it fly out you hollar oh jesus where did it go!.lol :) i never could find a ss350 for sale  but wanted one in the worse way when i first started scrolling. :)

I have the 350 and have used it for years.  The blade holder has a knob that tightens or loosens the strength of the grip.  The lever on the blade holder swings to the right to loosen and to the left to clamp the blade.  I think once you get used to it you will really like it.  It's too late for you but I would recommend that anyone who wants to take the blade holder apart do so very carefully.  A friend of mine bought one and it wouldn't work right, turns out the lever was bent.

• 2 years later...

Steven, why the heck would you take the blade clamps apart, it must have been a slow day. Without the blade clamps being in place, you can't use the saw. These saws take a plain end blade, pinned blades won't work. To insert a blade into the blade holder, flip the clamp lever into the open position. Then install the blade, by holding in place against the back of the holder, then close the clamp lever. Do this for the top and bottom clamps, then the blades are ready for tensioning. Do you know how to tension your blade?

Len

It looks like that saw has the same clamps I have on my Delta Q3.  I love the clamps as they are so easy to use but hate to think what will happen if they break.  I found the SS350 manual on line, this section covers how to use the clamps.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/796316/Delta-Ss350.html?page=10#manual

Hope that helps,

Rob

P.S.  Pinless blades only.