Cut Ceramic Tiles

scrollerpete

I don't believe I would attempt to cut ceramic tile with a scroll saw as they are not designed for that purpose.   I think it would be very destructive to the saw even if you could find a blade that would cut.   The ceramic dust would be very abrasive and possibly damage the moving parts.  

Edited by stoney

Well Pete, I'd give it a try. If you have a dust collector you shouldn't have to worry about the dust. I think anything can be cut on a scroll saw with variable degrees of success. If I were to try it I would use very thin ceramic and use a jeweler's blade. I don't have any tile otherwise I'd give it a try myself. If you do try let us know the outcome.

Well Pete, I'd give it a try. If you have a dust collector you shouldn't have to worry about the dust. I think anything can be cut on a scroll saw with variable degrees of success. If I were to try it I would use very thin ceramic and use a jeweler's blade. I don't have any tile otherwise I'd give it a try myself. If you do try let us know the outcome.

I have some tiles but no jeweller's blade, I tried with FD polar # 7 did not work to good, I thought that metal blades might to the trick, if I order some more blades, will have to get a dozen or so of jeweller's blades.

• 2 weeks later...

I can not even imagine the amount of heat from friction that would be created attempting to cut ceramic tile with a scroll saw.   Ceramic tile is generally cut with a wet saw.   My scroll saw now cost north of $1500.new  I wouldn't use my scroll saw to cut ceramic tile any more than I would try cutting glass with a chain saw.    JMHO

This requires a drip tank for your scroll saw.  Here are the instructions on how to do that:  http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/Driptank.pdf.

Hawk still sells one of these if you want to buy it instead of building it:  http://stores.bushtonhawkstore.com/drip-tank

You can buy the diamond blades here:  http://www.pswood.com/diamond-scroll-saw-blade/

It might be possible, depending on your clamps, to use the blades that go in the Gryphon Omni wire saw (you will still need the drip tank).  I've not tried these, but they are cheaper.  I might take the chance at some point.

--------Randy