Greetings From Minnesota

007vsMagua

In my research on scroll saws I came upon this site and liked what I saw. I like the way the website is set up, it's like other websites I use, and it looks active.

I'm a getting older guy, semi-retired, spent most of my life working in the construction industry, and have been spending too much time playing computer games. I consider myself an experienced finishing carpenter with a broad knowledge of residential remodeling.

I took woodshop courses when I was a kid, and my family owned an operated a furniture business where I spent my youth working on weekends.

With my vast experience of working with power tools, I've never used a scroll saw in my life. I've spent many hours with a band saw, and I own most saws to do most jobs, but the project I have in mind looks like it requires the use of a scroll saw.

The project I have in mind is shaping smoking pipes out of hardwood. I'm not interested in picking up a band saw and I'm hoping a scroll saw can do the job. I'll be starting my project with 1.5" x 1.5" x 6" dense hardwood with high silica content blanks. I'm planning on ripping the blank in half creating two 3/4" x 1.5" x 6" pieces. I'll then be shaping 3/4" stock to somewhat fine curves.

Please feel free to recommend the types of blades that might work best for this project, and maybe a place for one stop online shopping for all my scroll saw blade needs.

Thanks_ Dennis

P.S. I've recently purchased the WEN 16" Scroll Saw, the WEN 8" 5-Speed Drill Press, and will be ordering the WEN Oscillating Spindle Sander when available, all for under $350.00. Everything will fit in a 64 sq. ft. work area.

In my research on scroll saws I came upon this site and liked what I saw. I like the way the website is set up, it's like other websites I use, and it looks active.

I'm a getting older guy, semi-retired, spent most of my life working in the construction industry, and have been spending too much time playing computer games. I consider myself an experienced finishing carpenter with a broad knowledge of residential remodeling.

I took woodshop courses when I was a kid, and my family owned an operated a furniture business where I spent my youth working on weekends.

With my vast experience of working with power tools, I've never used a scroll saw in my life. I've spent many hours with a band saw, and I own most saws to do most jobs, but the project I have in mind looks like it requires the use of a scroll saw.

The project I have in mind is shaping smoking pipes out of hardwood. I'm not interested in picking up a band saw and I'm hoping a scroll saw can do the job. I'll be starting my project with 1.5" x 1.5" x 6" dense hardwood with high silica content blanks. I'm planning on ripping the blank in half creating two 3/4" x 1.5" x 6" pieces. I'll then be shaping 3/4" stock to somewhat fine curves.

Please feel free to recommend the types of blades that might work best for this project, and maybe a place for one stop online shopping for all my scroll saw blade needs.

Thanks_ Dennis

P.S. I've recently purchased the WEN 16" Scroll Saw, the WEN 8" 5-Speed Drill Press, and will be ordering the WEN Oscillating Spindle Sander when available, all for under $350.00. Everything will fit in a 64 sq. ft. work area.

hello Dennis ,Welcome aboard Friend,there are a few of us that have maden pipes i think Travis also has made some ,He's the chief bottle washer of the club(owner) there are others too .Lots of pen makers so you too us the same size wood blank to start off with.I'm guessing that hard woods are the best for these projects .Glad of you to get to set up shop."Dennis' Man Cave"That's a great place to get away from it all and relax behind a scroll saw .Lots of places to buy scroll saw blades .i get mine from Mikesworksshop.com great service quality strong blades and getting 3 hours out of one 30 cent blade is not uncommon.A # 5 #7 blade  is most scrollers go to blade ,so you could start there.i prefer the scroll reverse blades and it leaves you with little sanding .keep coming back your family now Send us lots of pictures as they are worth a million words of your projects ,fire wood ones and other wise.lol.Hope to see lots more of you  Welcome again.

Dennis, welcome to the forum.  I am anxious to see how you pipe making turns out.  I use to be a pipe smoker, still do once in a great while  when camping.  I would have thought band saw for  cutting "brair" type woods, but I think a scroll saw could do it.  I don't do any where near that type of scrolling, but I would think you would want the larger stiffer blades, like #7 or #9 and a few #5 thrown in for the sharper curves.  I don't know what type of teeth to recommend.  There is a site called Mike's Workshop that sales Flying Dutchman Blades,  which is one of the more respected blades on this forum.  There is also some good articles on the site for blade selection.  Olson blades are also a good choice.  The one you buy at Sear, Home Depot, that kind of stores are disappointing, and will discourage you quickly.  

Other will chime in here on blades that have experience in cutting the thicker woods. 

Please keep us posted on how this turns out for you. 

Welcome aboard. This is a good place to hang-out.

I agree with Scrappile, "I would think you would want the larger stiffer blades, like #7 or #9 and a few #5 thrown in for the sharper curves"

I like the Olson blades best.

Sounds like a very interesting project!

(I'm a neighbor too, in St. Paul)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been trying to figure out how to attach a drawing (maybe pattern) and photos to this thread, hoping to get more feedback.

I just tried attaching a drawing of my pipe design, but I'm not sure it took, so I'm going to press 'Add Reply' and see what happens.

Any current instructions on how to add documents or photos to these threads would be welcome.

Thanks_ Dennis

post-29343-0-10676200-1459035075_thumb.jpg