Breakout on patterns

So you have read that we have a blade supply problem in our country, resulting in me going one up in size to a FD#1 blade ( that’s all we can get here) but during cutting today I noticed that on a tight inside corner I was getting some break out on the bottom piece of my double stack, how do I prevent this?
I have read on the web that you can tape a cardboard board to the back as a backer to prevent this, but surely this will help, won’t this additional board cause the blade to loose its sharpness quickly. My thoughts are to use the painters tape I use for the front just to use it on the back as well would that work?

I have slowed the speed just a touch and slowed my feed rate as well, but doing these Fretwork Complex Patterns there is a lot of tight corners and I don’t want to spend my time fixing these breakouts.

Edited by Insane Dust Maker

8 hours ago, Insane Dust Maker said:

We only have normal FD#1 blades, he did not import the smaller blades, concentrated on #3 and up.

That's a shame. You would find that the reverse toothed blades will help with the fuzzies. Is the importer ignorant of what scrollers want, need and will buy? Maybe suggest to him that he join SSV so we can tutor him. I can't imagine he doesn't want to make money by getting what you need. Are there limitations to what he is allowed to import?

11 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

That's a shame. You would find that the reverse toothed blades will help with the fuzzies. Is the importer ignorant of what scrollers want, need and will buy? Maybe suggest to him that he join SSV so we can tutor him. I can't imagine he doesn't want to make money by getting what you need. Are there limitations to what he is allowed to import?

No just totally ignorant, I gave him a complete list of the recommended blades he should stock, just not interested, our scroll saw community is so small that he only ordered blades one a year, what’s going to happen now with him closing his second branch that has been around for many, many years, who knows.

On 4/27/2024 at 11:53 PM, Insane Dust Maker said:

The courier fees and our corrupt governments import duties is twice the cost of the blades.

Perhaps you could get together with others of your scroll saw community and place a one-time order for blades with one of the western distributors.  You could select the blades and quantities you want and each of you get a supply.  We pay approximately $3US per dozen in quantity.  I will let you do the numbers on what it would cost you after fees and duties.  But you would have the blades you want.  

On 4/28/2024 at 2:54 PM, barb.j.enders said:

Kinda back to an old conversation - it is too bad that Bear woods charges shipping on the prize you won!  It would go a long way for customer service.  Their shipping costs is one of the reasons I don't generally shop there.

Yip, still haven’t got my prize despite me given them a very amicable solution, that’s a win win for both of us, they don’t reply to emails, sonI guess that’s over, won’t enter again.

On 4/28/2024 at 2:54 PM, barb.j.enders said:

Kinda back to an old conversation - it is too bad that Bear woods charges shipping on the prize you won!  It would go a long way for customer service.  Their shipping costs is one of the reasons I don't generally shop there.

Yip, still haven’t got my prize despite me given them a very amicable solution, that’s a win win for both of us, they don’t reply to emails, so I  guess that’s over, won’t enter again.

Placing a piece of packing tape across the opening in your scrollsaw table may help - you're trying to make a zero clearance insert for your blade.  That will allow the wood to be supported right up against the blade and hopefully mitigate most of your breakout.  

As mentioned early, a bottom piece of scrap to again support the wood fibers.  Maybe heavy paper like tag board or that contact paper shelf liner.  I've had no troubles peeling that from some delicate scroll work.  It will possibly dull the blade a bit faster, but the paper or liner is much softer and thinner than the wood so I'm not sure that it would be much of a problem.

All the options I can think of are centered around extending your table to within a few tenths of a millimeter from the blade or supporting the wood from the bottom of the stack; its just a matter of how you do that.  A sacrificial hardboard table is another option.

Best of luck finding a solution!

On 5/1/2024 at 2:49 PM, rash_powder said:

Placing a piece of packing tape across the opening in your scrollsaw table may help - you're trying to make a zero clearance insert for your blade.  That will allow the wood to be supported right up against the blade and hopefully mitigate most of your breakout.  

As mentioned early, a bottom piece of scrap to again support the wood fibers.  Maybe heavy paper like tag board or that contact paper shelf liner.  I've had no troubles peeling that from some delicate scroll work.  It will possibly dull the blade a bit faster, but the paper or liner is much softer and thinner than the wood so I'm not sure that it would be much of a problem.

All the options I can think of are centered around extending your table to within a few tenths of a millimeter from the blade or supporting the wood from the bottom of the stack; its just a matter of how you do that.  A sacrificial hardboard table is another option.

Best of luck finding a solution!

Thanks for the advice.