I now use Masking Tape before glue

Frank Pellow

Until two days ago, I was fairly happy (in my ignorance)  with applying 3M spray glue onto the back of a pattern then sticking that pattern directly to the wood.  Once I had finished cutting, I applied a solvent such as turpentine or varsol  then pealed off the pattern.  Then I cleaned up the remaining glue with the solvent.  Cleanup was usually a bit tedious but it worked.

Then, two days ago, a broke a piece by rubbing too vigorously during clean up.  The piece had taken me about three hours to cut and I broke it so that it was beyond repair. :grr:

I had read about folks using blue masking tape on the wood then gluing the pattern to the tape covered wood.  This incident got me to finally getting around to trying it.  In the attached photo I have applied the tape to the oak veneer that I am about to cut.  Then, I glued on the Whiskey Jack pattern. 

I finished cutting the pattern earlier this evening.  The remaining tape and pattern came off very easily and there was no cleanup. :)

I wish I had paid attention and started doing this along time ago, but BETTER LATE THAN NEVER. :oops:

I like the tape method but it slows down my production and eats away my pennies for tape.