To all the DeWalt 788 owners

OCtoolguy

4 hours ago, hotshot said:

Very true, but Kevin has a whole graveyard full of these.  Have you seen his videos on youtube?  I suspect you could probably reach out to him for advise via email.  If anyone is in the Atlanta users group, you might give us some insight.

Which Kevin are you referring to? I see we have two here. Also, if you can point me in the direction on youtube, I'd be very appreciative.

Edited by octoolguy

5 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Kevin. I was thinking of that too. I'll give that a try. I just hope that it will all "tighten" up the bearing too as it seems that maybe the aluminum has stretched and allowed the bearing to float in the hole. That could set up some vibration so tightening it up by swedging the hole a bit may keep it from moving around. Thanks for all your help. It's nice to have someone who has been through it to suggest stuff.

Ray

First and foremost I'd check the bearing to be sure it spins smooth and doesn't sound dry.. Maybe you already have.. But if the bearing is bad it can get hot and expand enough on that soft aluminum to create the issue you have.. classic sign of a failing bearing is doing exactly what you have going on..  Many times I take a real small tool like a dentist would use to scrape teeth.. I pick at the edge of the seal on the outer part of the bearing ( larger diameter part ) and pick / pry out the seal.. carefully as it bends easy.. anyway you can pick the seal off the bearings and add grease to them.. 

Truth be told though.. If I had this issue I'd probably opt for the whole assembly with new bearings.. because you are probably going to experience more issues with it before too long anyway.. and while the saw is apart.. Maybe time isn't an issue for you.. but for me I need to have my saw running in top shape if at all possible.. Only way I'd do these suggestions is if I was in a pinch to get orders out while my new part is being shipped to me..      

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

First and foremost I'd check the bearing to be sure it spins smooth and doesn't sound dry.. Maybe you already have.. But if the bearing is bad it can get hot and expand enough on that soft aluminum to create the issue you have.. classic sign of a failing bearing is doing exactly what you have going on..  Many times I take a real small tool like a dentist would use to scrape teeth.. I pick at the edge of the seal on the outer part of the bearing ( larger diameter part ) and pick / pry out the seal.. carefully as it bends easy.. anyway you can pick the seal off the bearings and add grease to them.. 

Truth be told though.. If I had this issue I'd probably opt for the whole assembly with new bearings.. because you are probably going to experience more issues with it before too long anyway.. and while the saw is apart.. Maybe time isn't an issue for you.. but for me I need to have my saw running in top shape if at all possible.. Only way I'd do these suggestions is if I was in a pinch to get orders out while my new part is being shipped to me..      

Thanks again Kevin. I am going to do just that tomorrow. 

45 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Which Kevin are you referring to? I see we have two here. Also, if you can point me in the direction on youtube, I'd be very appreciative.

Not this one, LOL I've only got one DeWalt and two Hawks, 

My thought was AmazingKevin.. but then he mentioned Georgia.. and I think AmazingKevin lives in Florida.. so not too sure who we are talking about..   

Yep, my thoughts were a bit disjointed, sorry about that.   Amazing Kevin from Fl has a collection of used up saws.  The Scrollsaw Dr is in Atlanta, which is considerably closer, but not really close enough, but could probably bring all Kevins saws back to life.

Here is the four part series.  I believe he details all the parts he uses in these refurbs.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Edited by hotshot

5 hours ago, hotshot said:

Yep, my thoughts were a bit disjointed, sorry about that.   Amazing Kevin from Fl has a collection of used up saws.  The Scrollsaw Dr is in Atlanta, which is considerably closer, but not really close enough could probably bring them all back to life.

Here is the four part series.  I believe he details all the parts he uses in these refurbs.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Thanks for clearing that up. I have watched this series until my eyes fell out. I keep referring back to them too. Very good stuff. I even went so far as to download them and keep them in a video file. I use Windows Movie Maker to "stitch" them all together into a movie. Thanks again though.

Well, for all of you who have been following along with my vibration/noise problem, let me tell you this. I AM A VERY HAPPY CAMPER RIGHT NOW. I managed to take care of the knocking sound and after fixing the main drive bearing problem by center punching around the bearing hole on both sides, that bearing no longer floats around. I took the bearing seals off and packed the bearing full of synthetic grease. On reassembling everything, I made sure that I tightened all the screws a bit more this time around. I can now run the saw at any speed I choose and it doesn't shake anymore or knock. I did also find that the 3 feet of my saw stand are pounding on the wood floor of my shop. They are 4 x 4 and the whole stand is pretty heavy but I'm going to put carpet under them so muffle the pounding sound coming from them. All in all, a very productive day. Tomorrow, I am going to do some cutting. I need a ton of practice. I just have to find something to make that is more than just practice lines and circles. Oh happy me.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me fix this thing. Now, I don't have to think about buying another saw.

Ray

Would it be possible for somone to post/repost a list of all the bearings/bushing  models, quantities, amount needed for a type 2? I'm visiting family in MIchigan and thinking I might order them so they'll be there when I get home. Not going to try and watch 4 videos on a smart-phone to find the numbers, found a couple of lists elsewhere but none seem complete. I'm looking on craigslist while i'm here so if i get lucky and find something decent i'll just sell the dewalt with a big bag of bearings.

thanks

joe

1 hour ago, JOE_M said:

Would it be possible for somone to post/repost a list of all the bearings/bushing  models, quantities, amount needed for a type 2? I'm visiting family in MIchigan and thinking I might order them so they'll be there when I get home. Not going to try and watch 4 videos on a smart-phone to find the numbers, found a couple of lists elsewhere but none seem complete. I'm looking on craigslist while i'm here so if i get lucky and find something decent i'll just sell the dewalt with a big bag of bearings.

thanks

joe

Joe, it's pretty expensive to just buy all the necessary bearings and sleeves. I was going to do that too but I'm glad I didn't. Take your saw apart first and inspect the bearings/sleeves. I'll bet you won't find too many bad ones if any at all. I found none. But, I think the most important thing I did was get some good synthetic grease into all the bearings and anyplace that it might be beneficial. Also, tightening all the bearings and making sure that the main con rod bearing is tight is important. Unless your saw has seen a lot of use and never been serviced, I'll bet you won't find much wrong that can't be fixed by just going through it and doing what I suggested. If you were to decide to buy all the pieces you mentioned, you'd be looking at around $200. Now, if you have a fat wallet, well, go for it.

Ray

1 hour ago, JOE_M said:

thanks

joe

I agree with Ray.. Unless your saw is making some very loud noises.. I'd just take it apart and grease it up.. I run my saw a lot.. and I have the original bearings in the back end of the saw..  When the saw was about 2-3 years old I started getting a slight noise from it and was getting some blade vibration.. I watch the said videos. took my saw completely apart.. while I did have some minor wear on the back bigger bearing & bushing.. I just cleaned it up and added the synthetic grease.. that was back in 2012.. back part of the saw has not been touched since.. I did end up needing new bearings and sleeves on the front portion of the saw.. while only two of the bearings and bushings was really the only bad ones with a couple others with minor wear.. I just replaced them all since I had to take the bearings to the local bearing shop so I could match them up.. I have all the pieces needed to do a full rebuild this time.. as it needs it now.. but this is a 2008 saw.. I had it apart on 2012.. and just now getting noisy again.. ( mostly from the back of the saw ) where there was some minor wear.. had I had the parts on hand back when i had the back of the saw opened up.. I'd have replaced those.. but I needed to use it asap.. so I just cleaned it up and greased it.. been running since.. I'm thinking when I take mine apart after the holidays.. I'll only need to replace the back portion of the saw and just clean / grease the front.. noise is coming from the back..