How Small is a 6/0 Jewelers blade?

hotshot

I've told people that the blades I used are as small as a regular sewing pin, but both are so small, it's kind of hard to know for sure without really really zooming in.  So out of curiosity, I scanned the smallest blade I commonly use.  I assumed I would get a profile view, but was thrilled to see the front which give an idea of the actual kerf.  I can't really see the teeth with the naked eye, so it was nice to get a zoomed image.

Anyway, I though this was really neat, hopefully you will also.  Click the picture below so see full size, so you can see the teeth.

PennyPen6_0.thumb.jpg.131cde9339fd9db991a78c68c7224e14.jpg

Edited by hotshot

44 minutes ago, Lucky2 said:

Randy, are these the blades you use to cut coins with, where do you purchase them from?

Len

Len, these are Pike blades and this specific size is used only when I need very small kerfs.    I use 3/0 much more often.  I did use this 6/0 size for the entire "Serenity Cut" that I'm getting ready to post.  

I usually shop Amazon for these blades.  Shop around, and be careful because some vendors aren't clear on quantity.  I aways look for 144 (gross) pricing.

14 hours ago, hotshot said:

Len, these are Pike blades and this specific size is used only when I need very small kerfs.    I use 3/0 much more often.  I did use this 6/0 size for the entire "Serenity Cut" that I'm getting ready to post.  

I usually shop Amazon for these blades.  Shop around, and be careful because some vendors aren't clear on quantity.  I aways look for 144 (gross) pricing.

Randy, have you checked out Otto Frei? They specialize in watch tools. I bought a gross of 2/0 from them along with some other stuff. I'm not sure if my price was good or not but I was told to buy there from the guy who I took the class on marquetry from.

Ray

On 12/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, hotshot said:

I've told people that the blades I used are as small as a regular sewing pin, but both are so small, it's kind of hard to know for sure without really really zooming in.  So out of curiosity, I scanned the smallest blade I commonly use.  I assumed I would get a profile view, but was thrilled to see the front which give an idea of the actual kerf.  I can't really see the teeth with the naked eye, so it was nice to get a zoomed image.

Anyway, I though this was really neat, hopefully you will also.  Click the picture below so see full size, so you can see the teeth.

nice fragile blade!

19 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Which blades are you buying from there?  I noticed they have the Forms d'Art blades that I started with many years ago.  Not great blades overall,  but I still recommend them for beginners because they are very very cheap, and they have a more metal on the backbone (shorter teeth).  They are not as aggressive and do not turn as easily, so I moved on to the Pike brand which is very good (Same company that makes Pegas).

There are several other brands on the site that are new and intriguing to me.  I've been curious about the more expensive German blades, but they are over twice as expensive as the Pike I've been using, and I break a ton of blades, so I've been scared to try those.  I might like them, then I would up a creek. :-)

Edited by hotshot

8 hours ago, hotshot said:

Which blades are you buying from there?  I noticed they have the Forms d'Art blades that I started with many years ago.  Not great blades overall,  but I still recommend them for beginners because they are very very cheap, and they have a more metal on the backbone (shorter teeth).  They are not as aggressive and do not turn as easily, so I moved on to the Pike brand which is very good (Same company that makes Pegas).

There are several other brands on the site that are new and intriguing to me.  I've been curious about the more expensive German blades, but they are over twice as expensive as the Pike I've been using, and I break a ton of blades, so I've been scared to try those.  I might like them, then I would up a creek. :-)

http://www.ishor.com/antelope-blue-label

Great blades. Maybe a little more expensive but last a long time. I cut alot of brass with them. I do not need to go down to 6/0 so can not speak to them. 1/0 to  3/0 and #1 to #3 

Never tried Pike. Trying to remember another brand I use to buy but was breaking them too fast and that is why I asked around and found these. Found an old package, they were called Mascot. Can not remember where I was buying them. 

I cut a quarter in half lengthwise on my Dewalt scrollsaw as a bet once and used 2 #1 antelope blades. Being you cut coins you know that metal is hard to cut. It is a mixture blend. I won the bet. Not an easy thing to do but the Dewalt was up to the task. 

Copy of IMGP0799.JPG

Copy of IMGP0802.JPG

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

On 12/19/2017 at 7:41 PM, hotshot said:

I enjoyed cutting coins,only 3 of them.So many things distract your interests here and things end up out of site out of mind!