Repair of Delta

ScollSaw Slasher

Well my Delta 40-694 saw started to make some more noise and wasn't cutting as efficiently ( the curse of Deltas and DeWalts).  2 1/2 years old with some moderately tough cutting for my intarsia projects and fretwork projects. So I bit the bullet and decided it was time to take it apart and service it. Now you guys and gals have to realize that I'm a mechanical putz but fearless. Well with parts flying everywhere and banging up my dainty hands, got it apart. Bearing sleeves looked good and decided to just grease everything and put it back together. Now of course finding the right nut, bolt washer etc etc. was a challenge for my feeble neurons, but lo and behold it's back together and running. It's still not quite as good when I took it out of the box new, but much better. I realized two things. One, they are  PIA to work on and probably will never do it again. Two, will be searching for the scroll saw of my dreams when I win the lotto. Right now the Seyco intrigues me since Steve Good likes it so much. Forget the Hawk with Iggys problems. I can buy a lot of beer for the price of a Hegner. So it's on to a few more projects with the Delta. Opinions are welcome.

1 minute ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Well my Delta 40-694 saw started to make some more noise and wasn't cutting as efficiently ( the curse of Deltas and DeWalts).  2 1/2 years old with some moderately tough cutting for my intarsia projects and fretwork projects. So I bit the bullet and decided it was time to take it apart and service it. Now you guys and gals have to realize that I'm a mechanical putz but fearless. Well with parts flying everywhere and banging up my dainty hands, got it apart. Bearing sleeves looked good and decided to just grease everything and put it back together. Now of course finding the right nut, bolt washer etc etc. was a challenge for my feeble neurons, but lo and behold it's back together and running. It's still not quite as good when I took it out of the box new, but much better. I realized two things. One, they are  PIA to work on and probably will never do it again. Two, will be searching for the scroll saw of my dreams when I win the lotto. Right now the Seyco intrigues me since Steve Good likes it so much. Forget the Hawk with Iggys problems. I can buy a lot of beer for the price of a Hegner. So it's on to a few more projects with the Delta. Opinions are welcome.

I by used all the time when I was working.Good thing I did I can't afford to now and good thing they were all Dewalts!Now I have a parts storehouse on hand.Yeah it's a pain to take apart but after its done it wasn't so bad .I wish they weren't made to completely come apart while working on them .

Yes, it is a pain that one has to almost completely disassemble to work on. All though I've bought used tools, more prone to buy them new so I don't have to go through the fix em up stage since I've stated that I'm a mechanical putz. Yes, the Ex 16 and 21 are tantalizing but the question goes back to are there parts or not. Is there anyone out there that has bought the Seyco and what's your thoughts on it. 

My thoughts are Seyco is selling parts for the Ex and if those run out the Seyco parts will fit.  I am more concerned about Seyco continuing to sell their scroll saw.  With the Ex 21 now back and the King saws, they have some stiff competition.   Their advantage before was the 21"  the most popular size, they were making the only one, now Ex is back with their 21".   That is some real competition.   So I guess you are just as at risk with a Seyco as you are an Ex.  Frankly I don't really worry about it.  I had Ex for some time, never had a problem with it.  But I do not recommend any saw to anyone any more.  What I like others may not.  Saw preferences are in the eyes of the beholder. 

I own a Seyco.

Re; your original posting.  I have a 40-694 also.  Have been working on mechanical things all my life, so it's second nature to me.  Don't saw nearly as much a a lot of folks on the site.  Am a Devout Believer in preventative maintenance.  Take mine apart once a year for greasing.

1.  Stand 2X4s around the work area to catch pieces that attempt to escape.
2. Do 1 unit at a time. i.e. redo front lower arms/blade holder.  Next to the upper. Use a screwdriver to pry the arms loose from the  blade holder & the arm assembly.  It REALLY helps to use a channel lock pliers to "pull" the blade clamps back onto each arm.  When you have it pulled together enough to see daylight in the bolt hole, use an awl and pry around from each side until you can get the bolt in.
3. Separate all bolts & nuts according to size & length.  I keep the old nuts, but replace with new, this is especially important for anything internal.
4. Support the front part with wood blocks to maintain the approximate height.
5. On the motor connecting rod is a bolt that takes the entire load of the saw.  Mine broke a few years ago.  Go to a hardware store & buy a stainless steel replacement.  Stainless is a harder metal.

Same would apply to a Dewalt

This is just another "Which Saw Would You Buy" thread. Ask 50 people and you will get 50 different answers with 100 different reasons. Unless you scroll for some time on a saw you will not get the feel for it. Iggy has a hangup that is all and his is speed. Some day that will all come crashing to an end. His report on a RBI is his opinion and mine is there is no better saw on the market. I am speaking from some experience. I own a Hegner, A dewalt and 2 RBIs They have different cutting mechanisms which make them unique to themselves. Basically all other saws on the market are clones of the 3 big names and they use the mechanisms for cutting within their saws. For a few different amenities they are all the same. I leave out the lower end saws because they too are nothing but clones coming off the same assembly line with different coats of paint on them. As they say you get what you pay for. 

My suggestions is if you have an opportunity to try and scroll on different saws and if buying a higher end saw look for deals. They are out there ans we see here many times. Do not let one person's review sway you one way or other. 

The larger bearings near the motor, (those on the connecting rod) and the big bolt that the rocker arm pivots on are usually the main sources of play and noise. DeWalt and www.erellacementparts.com  now sell the connecting rod with the bearings installed as a single part, because the bearing holes in the connecting rod can go bad too. If you only change these bearings and press out/in the new bearings, make certain that the bearings are still tight in the holes, If loose, blue Locktite around the inside of the bearing hole/ bearing outer race will tighten it up.

Charley

4 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Yes, it is a pain that one has to almost completely disassemble to work on. All though I've bought used tools, more prone to buy them new so I don't have to go through the fix em up stage since I've stated that I'm a mechanical putz. Yes, the Ex 16 and 21 are tantalizing but the question goes back to are there parts or not. Is there anyone out there that has bought the Seyco and what's your thoughts on it. 

I don't see you as a "mechanical putz" if you successfully disassembled and the re-assembled your saw. That's quite a feat for someone with little knowledge of what they were getting into. I did the same with mine and I fixed most of what was wrong with it. But, I kept messing with it until I had it to what I called "satisfactory" running. It's not perfect but I can live with it. What I did find though, if it isn't securely anchored it will vibrate at some point in it's range of rpm settings. I built a very heavy stand for mine out of 4 x 4 lumber and it still vibrated. I found that if I pushed down very hard on the stand the vibration went away. So, I bought some of the H/F floor padding and it now sits on that and is vibration/noise free. Just keep moving forward and you will get it back to what you remember when it was new.

Ray

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

This is just another "Which Saw Would You Buy" thread. Ask 50 people and you will get 50 different answers with 100 different reasons. Unless you scroll for some time on a saw you will not get the feel for it. Iggy has a hangup that is all and his is speed. Some day that will all come crashing to an end. His report on a RBI is his opinion and mine is there is no better saw on the market. I am speaking from some experience. I own a Hegner, A dewalt and 2 RBIs They have different cutting mechanisms which make them unique to themselves. Basically all other saws on the market are clones of the 3 big names and they use the mechanisms for cutting within their saws. For a few different amenities they are all the same. I leave out the lower end saws because they too are nothing but clones coming off the same assembly line with different coats of paint on them. As they say you get what you pay for. 

My suggestions is if you have an opportunity to try and scroll on different saws and if buying a higher end saw look for deals. They are out there ans we see here many times. Do not let one person's review sway you one way or other. 

Sage advice here. Thanks JT.

3 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I agree with JT.. Everyone will have a different like or dislike about a saw.. I was sort of on the same kick as Iggy with the speed issue.. But I am always determined to find a way.. Hundreds i people out there that love their Hawks.. I've been playing with my Hawk saw with different blade configurations etc.. and I now have been sawing since around the new year solely on my Hawk 226.. and growing to love the saw.. Something that bugged me with the Ex I bought is having to lift the arm up.. For some reason I just hate that.. and the thing I love about my Hawk and the DeWalt with the easy lift attachment.. While again.. I haven't used my EX-21 but to cut two ornaments.. Maybe in time I could grow used to it. .. as I have with the other saws... I wouldn't let one or two peoples bad experience's influence a decision of a tool.. In many cases.. their opinions are bias to what they are used to..    

BUT.. at any rate.. My point for posting this is.. I think anyone with time can and will adjust to different saws as I've done.. I remember loving how smooth my DW-788 ran when I first got it.. but boy did I hate how aggressive it was to cut on..then going to a saw that wasn't as aggressive was like watching snails passing you on a highway LOL.. I was persistent to use it because I just spent big money ( at the time in my Financial standpoint) and was just determined to use it.. which in time I did..Sometimes in learning to use a different type saw.. you need to re-learn your go to blade selection etc.. but in time you'll figure out how to best use that particular saw..

you bought a used saw & are tryin' to make a new one out of it. Never happen. You can spend $$$$$$$$$$ til your wife finally asks wth you're doin', & you've still got a used saw with dollars worth of new guts!

If you're serious about buyin' a new saw, read & study the reviews. Get your hands on the one you THINK you may have an interest in. Look into tech support & parts replacement. As mentioned, you can't judge a horse by its looks.

As far as eliminating one breed of saw bcause of one fellers bad turn out, it isn't only not fair to the saw breed, but to yourself. Every saw has its own capabilities, features, cutting speeds, etc., but so does the man operatin' the saw. What are your capibilities? What do you want out of your saw? Are you cuttin' in a production type setting & need aggressiveness & speed for your operation? Or do you need precision cuts in your projects for appearance & the ability to catch your customers' eye? I'm a Hawk owner. On my second Hawk. I have several reasons for ownership, but one of the main ones is precision cuttin' in my projects, & neatness of cuts in the end. No, they don't cut as fast as others, but there are reasons for that. I don't get in any hurry when cuttin' a project. The only one I have to impress is my customer. Also,  Precision, neatness, & ability to cut straighter, smoother lines. 

Look for deals that ain't fallin' apart, & you have the capability of makin' a judgement call on. You'll be satisfied in the end.

Sorry I got the "Saw Wars"  started up. The only reason I mentioned Iggy was that he was having problems with his purchase from the get-go and it wasn't just about speed. Actually, I'm a slow cutter and even with the Delta the speed knob is only set from 5 to 50%. But I do expect any new equipment to be ready to plug and play. Yes, a scroll saw needs to be squared up before using but that should be it. My whole life, I've needed equipment that was reliable and down time was not an option. If things broke, needed to be fixed immediately or replaced and that replacement better work without calls to the factory or weeks of tweaking. So that's my mentality on the subject even though I scroll strictly for pleasure and give away 90% of what I do. Only reason I mentioned Seyco is that since it's so new on the market, haven't seen many opinions except for Steve's. Checked the other forums and gleaned more knowledge about that particular saw. Thanks to all for your input, especially for the tips on how to make it easier to tear into one of these things just in case madness overtakes me again (which it will).

I say kudos for taking it apart.  When anything is not working right, there is always a reason, it just may be suddle/undetectable.  There are a few people out there that are masters at fixing this kind of thing, but I think it may be because they have done it a lot and know what to look for.  The club in Atlanta is Dewalt Heavy, so I think the "Scroll Saw Doctor" get's plenty of practice.  Luckily he has shared some of his experience with the community.  Wish we had more of those types that frequent this forum.

No need to apologize, this thread has created some good info from posts like Jerrys'

Edited by hotshot

4 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Sorry I got the "Saw Wars"  started up. The only reason I mentioned Iggy was that he was having problems with his purchase from the get-go and it wasn't just about speed. Actually, I'm a slow cutter and even with the Delta the speed knob is only set from 5 to 50%. But I do expect any new equipment to be ready to plug and play. Yes, a scroll saw needs to be squared up before using but that should be it. My whole life, I've needed equipment that was reliable and down time was not an option. If things broke, needed to be fixed immediately or replaced and that replacement better work without calls to the factory or weeks of tweaking. So that's my mentality on the subject even though I scroll strictly for pleasure and give away 90% of what I do. Only reason I mentioned Seyco is that since it's so new on the market, haven't seen many opinions except for Steve's. Checked the other forums and gleaned more knowledge about that particular saw. Thanks to all for your input, especially for the tips on how to make it easier to tear into one of these things just in case madness overtakes me again (which it will).

Well EVERYTHING.. has potential for problems whether it's a scroll saw a car or something simple such as scroll saw blades.. Yes.. Got a bad batch of FD blades once and they kept breaking.. I thought it was my saw.. until it was brought up on one of the message boards.. Here I was tweaking my saw doing all kinds of things from changing thumb screws etc etc. SO with that said.. I don't care if you buy a NEW.. Hawk, Hegner, or any other saw.. there is the possibility of getting a lemon.. as Iggy did in is first saw.. How the company handles your lemon is maybe something to consider if you have this mentality and think everything new is absolutely be perfect.. and if you don't like tinkering with equipment ect..

I don't honestly care what saw anybody uses or has, what they paid for it etc etc.. I do like to read about peoples experience of a saw.. however I just take that with a grain of salt.. just like I said before.. not one saw out there that someone doesn't have a complaint about.. If someone has a saw that wore out in one year.. maybe it's a maintenance issue.. kind of like driving a car for 10 years and never changing the oil.. vrs one that changes the oil when it needs it... or like running recycled oil in one car and high end synthetic oil in another .. what one you think last longer. LOL  Most all lower - mid range saws really have no maintenance guidelines to follow.. they simply think you'll just use it and throw it out and buy another one.. Higher end saws recommend a few drops of oil every X amount of use.. 

ANY low - mid range saw can and would last as long as a Hawk or Hegner with maintenance.. but they aren't built in a way to maintain them easily.. so no one does it... if one doesn't like taking the saws apart and doing maintenance then one should look for a saw that is easily maintained.. or plan a new saw in your budget every couple years... People buy low to mid range saws and complain they only last a year or two.. yet they never once oiled / greased it.. Any of the higher end saws will also wear out.. if not maintained ..     

I'm yet to see anything mechanical, whether it be scroll saws to semis, that require some sort of maintenance. Contrary to belief, the Hawks require maintenance, my CW 40 requires maintenance, just the same as my planer & table saw. And, occasionally, have to be dismantled for maintenance. 
Regardless of your mechanical skills, the longer you own equipment & become familiar with it, you understand how it works & comes apart. If you have the talent to take it apart, you have the talent to put it back together. Regardless of the breed of the saw.