Help in identifying wood please

new2woodwrk

First, thanks in advance for taking the time to help - I'd really like to get to know wood types, and this is going to help me quite a bit..

I just received some wood I purchased and have no idea what kind they are.

I do know one of the domestics is Cedar and I believe another is Pine and maybe a poplar in there as well.

I have 2 sets - one of them is Exotic wood here (2 pics just in case):

axotic-wood.thumb.jpg.e647741ad1b018dd3044e41ebeda35f5.jpg

exotic-wood.thumb.jpg.4f862a13647e7578c2353391e1c951b3.jpg

And Domestic Wood - #4 I know is Cedar - unmistakable, I believe #2 maybe Pine and #8 poplar but not sure
domestic-wood.thumb.jpg.0f03dce70faa62f5fb1e3c01461bf864.jpg

domestic-wood-2.thumb.jpg.a8bc0caa33c076e9f40ad135e73f3599.jpg

domestic-wood-3.thumb.jpg.3bebaee73f6f0bb1c1f45fbe5fd06fed.jpg

where did you buy the wood? can you look at other things they normally stock? sometimes it helps.

exotic # 2 is purple heart.

for domestics - 2, 5, and 8 are all pretty light, my guess is maple. I don't usually see poplar where I buy my "good wood" usually only at the hardware stores so that is why I am guessing that.

#6 looks like oak, and 3 could be also, but it is hard to tell from the picture. 

1 and or 7 could be cherry

Very tough to do like this because the lighting and angle hitting each piece. The domestics look easier to tell. 

My guesses

#1- poplar

#4 aromatic cedar (should smell)

#6-white oak or ash

#8-maple (soft maple)

#7- cherry

Others I can not see well.

Exotics 

#2-purpleheart

all others the light is off. 

I'm thinking (so watch out), Call me crazy, but I think

In Exotics: 1, 2, 6 are Purple Heart just because of color in the picture. 3,4 Mahoganys maybe two different kinds. 5 is a common "I Don't Know" exotic.

Domestics: 1 & 7 Cherry, 3 oak red(?), 2,5,8 Maples, 4 Cedar (no doubt) and 6 Elm.

There you have it, take it to the bank!  How's that?

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

I know this might be a naive question but wouldn't the seller be able to tell you what they sent you? Do all wood sellers just send you a bunch of unidentified wood? My first suggestion would be to contact whoever you purchased from and ask them. Just sayin................

Ray

I bought this wood based on a recommendation someone made here about the exotic stuff they bought on sale.

It is sold in 10 and 20 lbs boxes, here is their description:

These are pieces that are too short, have a knot, cracked ends, or other defects that don't fit our quality standards as "Scroll Saw Ready". The pieces can vary in size from 1/8" to 3/4" thick, 4" to 12" wide and 12" to 24" long. They are NOT sanded, and can sometimes have rough edges or ends. This box will have at least 20 pounds worth of wood pieces and at least four different species. Possible species include: Alder, Aspen, Ash, Butternut Basswood, Curly Maple, Cherry, Hard Maple, Red Oak, Red Cedar, Poplar, White Oak and Walnut.
This is a great chance to get a box full of wood at a fraction of the normal cost.

2 hours ago, tomsteve said:

some clearer pictures close up would help some, but on the exotics, but #2 is definatly purpleheart. 

can ya get some pics of both the face( wetted with MS would be nice) and the end grain of each piece?

Yeppers and thanks@

I can do that - probably later in the week - I'll post one at a time to make it easier

What is "wetted with MS would be nice"?

Edited by new2woodwrk

5 hours ago, tomsteve said:

ok,new, i think we've waited long enough give us pictures!!!!:razz:

actaully, just a bad jeopardy experience for me last night. i need easier, more fun quizzes.

something without opera,16th century poets, or shakespere. :D

LOL - I've been busy with taxes and a few side projects - I'll try to get to them later today

Update:

Here is what is known of the wood based on the avg of what every one has guessed (I still think #6 is bubinga):

Exotic - #5 still unknown see below for close ups of #5

exotic-wood-id.thumb.jpg.e0250723a9e64e2e1ca5a92ce27cb251.jpg

Domestic

domestic-wood-3.thumb.jpg.b40d3fcb7133c44a9c235124f86fd121.jpg

Here are new pics of #5 Exotic

unknown.thumb.JPG.576d0e55a3f741591f186891590904b1.JPG

unknown-side.thumb.jpg.509030709a4fc0c1906c621a63089a42.jpg

Thanks everyone for their assistance

Edited by new2woodwrk

14 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I'm curious. How much was that load of wood? I like what I see there but at what cost?

R

I bought the 20# and 10# boxes from http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

The 10# and 20# boxes aren't always available since they're 2nds so you have to check back - the exotic box was $35

Edited by new2woodwrk

44 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

I bought the 20# and 10# boxes from http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

The 10# and 20# boxes aren't always available since they're 2nds so you have to check back - the exotic box was $35

Thanks, I just went there and ordered the 20# box of domestics. I also asked them if they would be kind enough to identify the wood because I'm ignorant to anything but pine and oak. I'll wait and see if they do. Not expecting it though.

R

36 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks, I just went there and ordered the 20# box of domestics. I also asked them if they would be kind enough to identify the wood because I'm ignorant to anything but pine and oak. I'll wait and see if they do. Not expecting it though.

R

If you look at the list of available species, you can figure out a few of them - the rest I leave to the experts here ;)

I can't remember who recommended that site and those boxes, but it was someone here

Whom ever it was THANK YOU LOL :)

Edited by new2woodwrk