Ok, when is a scrap too small to save?

OCtoolguy

1 hour ago, GPscroller said:

I think just everybody that works with wood could be a member.  This might call for plaque pattern for us all to cut and display, just a thought:lol:

Jeff

Great idea. See what each of us can come up with using only our scraps.

5 hours ago, Brianr24 said:

Ha! I have same problem glad it’s not only me. But I don’t only save scrap I hate to use even larger pieces even if I purchase them for the specific job. I love having and “collecting wood “ heck half of the stuff I save I don’t know I have or can’t even find it anyway. But as soon as I get rid of something I need it......... well that’s what I tell myself anyway.

im not really a hoarder with other stuff and I’m very generous with anything I have but don’t touch my hardwoods!

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, MrsN said:

I used to be really bad saving almost any piece. I like making jewelry so I see possibility in tiny pieces. A few years ago I got sick of all of my boxes of wood and made up a bunch of pieces with all of the some day pieces. It was a fun project. 

I have moved several times and now have a pretty small scrap box. If it isn't exotic or unique I'll toss it if it isn't suitable size for an ornament. 

I'll bet you can get a lot of scraps with the kids at school and all. I wish your classroom was a bit closer to me. I'd hang up all day just to use your equipment and maybe help the kids.

When it's smaller than the smallest thing that you might want to make with it. 

My off cut  stash has some very small pieces of wood in it because I'm frequently making very small items with my scroll saws. Off cuts from larger projects end up in the scroll saw stash if it's wood that cuts well on the scroll saw. If it's too small for making even my smallest projects, then it gets tossed. My neighbor likes to take what I throw away for lighting his wood burning furnace. He says that most of the time he can just use a match to get it burning because most of the pieces are small enough to light that easily. He uses it to get his BBQ charcoal fires burning too. I don't heat with wood and I have a gas BBQ, so he gets all of it that he wants.  I put my scrap in two plastic trash cans outside the door of my shop. He takes what he needs from them when he needs some. I have never needed to empty these two plastic cans and I have never completely filled them either. It seems like the perfect solution. 

Charley