Cutting vinyl

Smudger

22 hours ago, Smudger said:

Hi has anyone got any advice on cutting vinyl records please, I've never cut vinyl before so any advice from you guys is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Andy

Hi Andy I have cut the odd vinyl record and  will help you as best I can what sort of pattern etc are you thinking of doing vinyl can be tricky as if you cut too slow it melts back in too fast it also could melt back in . If you are thinking of using a normal blade forget it this is a spiral only I have tried all other blades they all chip the vinyl to pieces I tape mine up as I would with wood with blue painters tape I then spray glue the pattern on . I have seen others who have tried say they cannot get to grips with it too many fuzzies you cannot remove because it has melted back in etc etc I cut my vinyl at the fastest I can go it is different from cutting wood with vinyl you are trying to go at the best speed you can I also brush off any fuzzies straight after I cut each piece with a stiff toothbrush to stop it melting back on. Other than that I cut as you would wood just quicker try and use the older style of vinyl as well that is slightly thicker and it helps, I tend to pick up vinyls shake them in my hand to see how floppy they are too much and I use them ones as backers :) , Hope some of this may help you if you need any more help please feel free to ask or pm me I will help if I can . 

13 hours ago, wombatie said:

This is one for @blights69.  The vinyl king.

Marg

12 hours ago, Rob said:

As Marge said, Frank is your man.  I'm sure he will be along soon!

Rob

Thanks Marg & Rob for the mention it means a lot to be thought good enough to be mentioned to help someone out I appreciate it :) whether my advice helps or not is a different matter LOL :) 

On 6/15/2018 at 8:22 PM, blights69 said:

Hi Andy I have cut the odd vinyl record and  will help you as best I can what sort of pattern etc are you thinking of doing vinyl can be tricky as if you cut too slow it melts back in too fast it also could melt back in . If you are thinking of using a normal blade forget it this is a spiral only I have tried all other blades they all chip the vinyl to pieces I tape mine up as I would with wood with blue painters tape I then spray glue the pattern on . I have seen others who have tried say they cannot get to grips with it too many fuzzies you cannot remove because it has melted back in etc etc I cut my vinyl at the fastest I can go it is different from cutting wood with vinyl you are trying to go at the best speed you can I also brush off any fuzzies straight after I cut each piece with a stiff toothbrush to stop it melting back on. Other than that I cut as you would wood just quicker try and use the older style of vinyl as well that is slightly thicker and it helps, I tend to pick up vinyls shake them in my hand to see how floppy they are too much and I use them ones as backers :) , Hope some of this may help you if you need any more help please feel free to ask or pm me I will help if I can . 

Thank you for the advice I will give it a go as soon as I can.