Back in the shop... briefly...

Iguanadon

After 3 weeks of no cutting due to other business obligations, I was able to get some cutting done yesterday and a little today... until it hit 94 degrees in my garage and my portable AC isn't even able to cool my 8'x8' enclosed cutting space.  But at least I'm getting some puzzles cut.  I have a mega-event coming up, 3 days during July 4th week.  My first time doing it, but it's huge and if the weather cooperates it should be incredible.

Scott,

I'm not sure that you can do this due to your shop arrangement, but a significant improvement in air conditioner or heat pump efficiency can be had if you can spray a fine mist of water on the outside (hot) coils of the unit. The evaporative effect of the water mist on the coils will lower it's temperature making the work much better on the very hot days. I do this with my shop and home heat pumps when the outside temperatures get close to 100 F here, by setting the nozzle on my garden hose for a very fine spray and then aiming it at the condenser coils of the heat pumps. It's like the outside air temperature suddenly drops from 100+ to about 85 as far as the heat pumps are concerned. My shop and outside faucets are all fed from well water, so the cost for the water is only the electricity needed to pump it, With the heat pumps outside I'm not concerned with where the excess water goes after it runs off the heat pump coils either,. It's worth a try if you can manage the water run off. If you are on city water and pay for it, you might still benefit from this, but keep the water spray to just barely enough so there is very little run off and most of it evaporates. I think your work area will feel like you added another air conditioner to it.

Charley  

Edited by CharleyL