Shellac flakes

Mark SW

I often use the Zinnser pre-mixed stuff, but I've used flakes several times as well.  It does take some advance planning, because it takes some time for the flakes to dissolve.  I use a little electric coffee grinder and grind the flakes into a finer powder.  It seems to make them dissolve faster, but it still takes time.  I usually allow them to dissolve at least 24 hours.  They need shaken up several times along the process as well.  Like I said, you have to plan ahead.

I like using the flakes, because you can get a variety of shades.  I only have used a couple different shades and sometimes I even mix them.  I've even  mixed Zinnser clear, pre-mixed shellac with some dark amber flake mix to add just a tinge of darker color, rather than get the full impact of the dark amber.  Your options for getting the color you want are pretty extensive, but you have to experiment with the wood you are using.  Probably why a lot of hobbiests don't use flakes.

I always make shellac from flakes. I get them from Rockler, because it's close and I get coupons from them, thus I've not notices price variations. Like Bill I use a small coffee bean grinder to cut the flakes. In addition to other comments about making a batch. They dissolve better in warm conditions. I have problems in the winter as we keep the day temp at 67 & night 58.. I usually put the jar near a register in the bathroom because that's that's the warmest room. I primarily use it as a sealer and to add base color (garnet) to a project. I've read that if it's over 6 months old it's no good? I usually will use it for year before saying it's out of date. 

Edited by oldhudson

The color of the flake you use is totally up to you.  The normal light blonde flake are what I have been using for sealing and it puts a light golden tint to the work.  You could of course adjust it by adding amber flake or switching to it all together.  Most of the shellac that is premixed and is in spray can form is the blonde flake.  You will need to experiment a bit to find what color(s) work for what wood.  As I mentioned it generally is the builders preference.  Like mentioned shredding the flake will make it dissolve faster.

DW

10 hours ago, Mark SW said:

Gentlemen thank you for the information.

One more question please. I noticed a large price difference for the same color of flakes . I wont say where but one was $95.00 in stock I could pick up. The other is $85.00 delivered which includes shipping. I am in no hurry so delivery is ok. Normal?

I haven't bought any flakes for a while.  Last I bought was from Rockler.  However, I do recall reading about periodic swings in pricing, due to availability of the product.  The supply is somewhat subject to weather conditions in the region where the raw shellac is harvested (Thailand & India), so prices can vary widely.  Perhaps the vendors are selling at different prices, reflecting the prices they paid at the time.

15 hours ago, Mark SW said:

Gentlemen thank you for the information.

One more question please. I noticed a large price difference for the same color of flakes . I wont say where but one was $95.00 in stock I could pick up. The other is $85.00 delivered which includes shipping. I am in no hurry so delivery is ok. Normal?

It is simple economics that internet based stores tend to be cheaper then brick and mortar retail stores as they have less overhead.  $85 a pound sounds high even with shipping.  Have you checked with internet sellers like Amazon?