Excalibur EX-21 - Buy stand or make one?

Snowwolfe

The only saw I have mounted on a factory stand is my Hegner.  The rest have been on stands I built using old cabinets I had gathered.  The one I had my Ex on and now my Seyco, is narrow enough that I can straddle it, but there is a drawer and shelves in it for storage.  I have never really convinced myself that you have to buy "Their" stand because it is specifically made to reduce vibration.  I won't argue it because I have never done any comparing and maybe ignorance is bliss on my part.

Edited by Scrappile

1 hour ago, Snowwolfe said:

Title says it all. Will get my EX21 in a week or two. Is the factory stand worth the price or should I make one? Been thinking of building one with wheels on it so it will be easier to move around.

Thoughts?

I built one because I have a small shop and it stands about 6 inches higher than my driveway. I wanted to be able to take my saw outdoors so that meant wheels. I designed and built a 2 x 4 frame and used some 8 inch wheels from Harbor Freight under the two front legs. I can lift the rear using the table of the saw and then move it in and out of my shop. I also used a baltic birch top and hinged it at the edge nearest to me so that I could elevate the saw and tilt is toward me. It works great.

20180908_112800.jpg

20180908_112831.jpg

20180908_112851.jpg

Edited by octoolguy

@octoolguy something you might consider adding to your stand.  My first tablesaw was a Sears contractor saw.  1970 vintage, still in use by my son-in-law.  I put some wheels on the back that I borrowed from one of my kid's little wagons, and I attached some pipe on each side of the saw down where it attached to the stand.  Then I had two smaller in diameter pipes that I could slip into those pipes and have handles so I could lift the front of the saw up and wheel the saw around like a wheel barrow.  When not using the pipe handles, they would sit nicely stored on the pipe I slipped them into when needed.  Still is set up that way today and wheeled around that way.

16 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

@octoolguy something you might consider adding to your stand.  My first tablesaw was a Sears contractor saw.  1970 vintage, still in use by my son-in-law.  I put some wheels on the back that I borrowed from one of my kid's little wagons, and I attached some pipe on each side of the saw down where it attached to the stand.  Then I had two smaller in diameter pipes that I could slip into those pipes and have handles so I could lift the front of the saw up and wheel the saw around like a wheel barrow.  When not using the pipe handles, they would sit nicely stored on the pipe I slipped them into when needed.  Still is set up that way today and wheeled around that way.

Ah Paul, you have struck on the subject of handles. That's been the thing that I haven't come up with yet. Your idea will go into the growing list of ideas on how to go about it. I want something that will not be obtrusive and stick out or get in the way. I like your idea. I wonder if I could incorporate some thick walled pvc in two different diameters. Hmmmmm!

Both options have their pro's and con's.  I've done both.  My last 2 saws used factory stands.  I like the simplicity, sturdiness & stability of factory stands.  They are also relatively compact and lightweight.  I take my saw on the road a couple times a year and the factory stand breaks down easily for transport.  If that isn't a factor for you, then by all means make your own.  The advantages of a DIY stand is that you can customize it to suit your work space and your needs.  Plenty of good reasons to make your own.

All of my saws are on factory stands.. When I first got my Ex-21 I mounted it on a cheap Harbor Freight stand.. the stand was their smaller one.. and was actually too small for the saw's foot print.. so I mounted a 1" plywood to the stand and then mounted the saw to the plywood.. This was good and bad.. the good... cheap... the plywood extended out and my legs fit under it.. the plywood caught the sawdust that normally drops down on your lap.. The Bad... the saw vibrated quite bad... bad enough that I bought a actual EX stand to mount it too.. That was much sturdier than the cheap HF stand was..heavier too which i'm sure helped with the vibration etc..

My most favored stand is from the deWalt.. that is a sturdy stand with three legs.. and narrow enough to straddle and the bottom brace is a perfect spot for the foot switch while sitting on the stool.. I wish Excalibur and Hawk could take notes on the DeWalt and Hegner stands.. The Ex and Hawk stands left me trying to figure out where to put my feet and my foot switch etc etc.. I finally got used to them.. but DeWalt spoiled me with their stand. :) 

All this said.. I think a nice HEAVY homemade stand would work out pretty well.. if you have a nice level floor to put it.. I would build in some sort of adjustable feet on the legs of a home ade stand so you can get even weight distribution on all legs.. this would help in any slight floor variances and or if you cut one just so slightly off from the others.. it would balance it out.. Most saws I've bought used.. vibrated bad when I first brought them home.. Once I loosen the stand and planted all legs firmly onto my floor.. they per like a kitten then.. So... having a very lever stand is quite important whether it be homemade or factory made.. I think a person can achieve the same results as a factory stand but they might spend some time toying around with getting everything perfect.. I'm not much  of a builder.. and probably couldn't build a square box if I tried.. I could fab one out of metal and weld it together.. but for some reason I cannot buld anything out of wood.. other than clocks and scroll sawn stuff LOL so i opted to just buy a stand and not fuss with trying to get 3 or 4 legs cut the exact same length etc.. LOL

Good luck with whatever you choose.. and share some picture of your stand if you make one..   

Edited by kmmcrafts

I have a newer EX21 with a factory stand and I've been disappointed. Previously I had a Delta that I bolted to the top of a work bench and I loved that. Mine new stand has wheels, which are a necessity because, when no in use, I store i in another room. IMHO I think the factory stand, when on wheels, has too much vibration. The last couple of projects I lifted it up and put it on jack stands. Less vibration but a PITA. I wish the height were adjustable. Some day I'll try making a stand. If I had a smaller saw I think I could put it back on the bench?

You can certainly make arguments for either approach. I doubt if there is a right answer. It's just personal preference. It's why the Crayola boxes come with more than one color. 

37 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

I have a newer EX21 with a factory stand and I've been disappointed. Previously I had a Delta that I bolted to the top of a work bench and I loved that. Mine new stand has wheels, which are a necessity because, when no in use, I store i in another room. IMHO I think the factory stand, when on wheels, has too much vibration. The last couple of projects I lifted it up and put it on jack stands. Less vibration but a PITA. I wish the height were adjustable. Some day I'll try making a stand. If I had a smaller saw I think I could put it back on the bench?

You can certainly make arguments for either approach. I doubt if there is a right answer. It's just personal preference. It's why the Crayola boxes come with more than one color. 

You need to mount some bigger wheels ( like smaller lawn mower wheels) up higher on the stand.. so when the stand setting on the ground for doing work the tires would be just off the ground.. but to move the saw tilt it back so the tires will roll.. I wouldn't suggest any scroll saw to be resting on wheels all the time.. that is asking for vibration issues.. I've thought about buying one of these for my Hawks.. and maybe the other saws.. I bought one for my big band saw when I purchased it... sure glad I did as that thing is very heavy..I'd never be able to move it without scratching the floor sealer all up in my shop..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/D2057A

Harbor freight has a cheaper build your own kit..

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-mobile-base-95288.html

Not real sure how well one would do on a scroll saw because I can't remember if all four corners have the feet or not.. I thought my bandsaw one has the legs on all four.. but this picture shows it looks like it'd set on two of the wheels while it raises the other two off the ground..

Anyway.. Something with some threaded legs to adjust to get the wheels off the ground and have the saw / stand setting firmly on the ground would be what I would try to achieve on any saw stand homemade or factory.. if I needed to have wheels to move it around.. 

Edit to say: My older Hawk came with wheels on the stand.. I thought it would be a real nice addition to be able to roll it around.. I could never get it to set firmly on the floor and not get added vibration.. took them off and bought some adjustable furniture gliders and got all four feet planted firm on the ground.. runs nice and smooth after that.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

34 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

You need to mount some bigger wheels ( like smaller lawn mower wheels) up higher on the stand.. so when the stand setting on the ground for doing work the tires would be just off the ground.. but to move the saw tilt it back so the tires will roll.. I wouldn't suggest any scroll saw to be resting on wheels all the time.. that is asking for vibration issues.. I've thought about buying one of these for my Hawks.. and maybe the other saws.. I bought one for my big band saw when I purchased it... sure glad I did as that thing is very heavy..I'd never be able to move it without scratching the floor sealer all up in my shop..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heavy-Duty-Mobile-Base/D2057A

Harbor freight has a cheaper build your own kit..

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-capacity-mobile-base-95288.html

Not real sure how well one would do on a scroll saw because I can't remember if all four corners have the feet or not.. I thought my bandsaw one has the legs on all four.. but this picture shows it looks like it'd set on two of the wheels while it raises the other two off the ground..

Anyway.. Something with some threaded legs to adjust to get the wheels off the ground and have the saw / stand setting firmly on the ground would be what I would try to achieve on any saw stand homemade or factory.. if I needed to have wheels to move it around.. 

Edit to say: My older Hawk came with wheels on the stand.. I thought it would be a real nice addition to be able to roll it around.. I could never get it to set firmly on the floor and not get added vibration.. took them off and bought some adjustable furniture gliders and got all four feet planted firm on the ground.. runs nice and smooth after that.. 

Kevin, if you look at the pics I posted, I put the saw near to me so as to put more of the weight on the rear legs. It sits resting on the two wheels away from me and there is zero vibration. I am very happy with the way it turned out. The key is to get it level or even on all four contact points. The H/F wheels that I used have rubber tires on them and seem to be pretty decent wheels.