Flags

JTTHECLOCKMAN

Tried asking Steve Good this question but he maybe away or just very busy so thought I would throw it out here. I will be doing various military plaques and clocks over time and would like to incorporate the American flag as the backdrop for the backer board. My question I see ones that have a waving flag such as the one in the photo and was wondering if there is anyone who does this and where do you get the  photo and how you go about attaching. Are you using a photo from some pinterest site and if so do you have a link?? What type paper are you printing on (photo stock or standard office paper) are you prepping the photo in any way before applying the overlay?? If you have an example would be nice. I am not a painter so painting this is not an option. Thanks in advance.

il_570xN.544077941_8fzc.jpg

1496554893marineflag.jpg

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I did this for part of the background I did on two of my pieces.  I picked out the flags I wanted to us from image search on the internet.  I printed them on plain printer paper, than sprayed them with some Krylon clear coat.  When I got them cut as I needed to show where I wanted them to I us spray adhesive and attached them to the backer where they needed to be.

Guardian Black.jpg

guardian 2nd 2.jpg

Whether you use a straight flag or a waving flag, please, for the love of all things American, put the flag the correct direction.  The Union (blue field with stars) should ALWAYS be on the "speakers" right.  Which means, as you're viewing it, the Union will be on the VIEWERS left.  This means that when you display the flag vertically, you don't just unpin three corners and rotate it 90-degrees clockwise.  I've run across a lot of really cool Tshirts or other artwork that I would have paid for....except the flag was backwards.

John, I used to make humorous clock faces and the way I did them was, print the picture onto a light 90 - 120 gsm photo paper, then run them through a laminator.
If you are placing your cutting in a frame, you wont need to fix the flag, just sit it in the frame with the cutting on the top and fit the back..
My two bob's for what it's worth ;)

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, 

I'm inspired at doing a plaque for my daughter who works in the US Federal Probation System.  I like the flag idea as a backdrop.  Those that have used a spray sealer or lamination, does or could the image fade over time?  Also I'd be printing the image on a color laser,  before I buy supplies would a spray sealer cause the toner to bleed, or the paper to turn translucent?  

Thanks

Larry

On 9/20/2018 at 1:46 AM, Larry B said:

Hey folks, 

I'm inspired at doing a plaque for my daughter who works in the US Federal Probation System.  I like the flag idea as a backdrop.  Those that have used a spray sealer or lamination, does or could the image fade over time?  Also I'd be printing the image on a color laser,  before I buy supplies would a spray sealer cause the toner to bleed, or the paper to turn translucent?  

Thanks

Larry

Larry,
Inkjet will fade to greater or lesser degree depending upon the paper used. A quality photographic paper will see it fade no more than any other photo, however on plain paper in direct sunlight it will be quite noticeable after a number of years. I don't now about coloured laser printing.
As for the spray sealer, there are a variety of types. If you use an oil based it may make the paper translucent and give it a yellowish tone, Lacquer won't but the 1st coat should be light as if you soak the paper the image will blur. There are also "fixatives" that are used by to stabilise chalk art and protect water based paintings etc. These work well.