Bought This Two Years Ago And...

kmmcrafts

I bought this two years ago and never even open the box until today when I finally decided it’s time to hang it up. Got a good deal on it but knew I wasn’t ready to put it up, but didn’t realize it’d be two years. Hopefully I hung it in a good spot. I need to adjust it some. 

Thinking the biggest thing I need is just to hook my dust collection up to all the machines. But anyway this should also help I hope. 

54C39A13-E37B-4637-8A74-10A2825C1A95.jpeg

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I bought this two years ago and never even open the box until today when I finally decided it’s time to hang it up. Got a good deal on it but knew I wasn’t ready to put it up, but didn’t realize it’d be two years. Hopefully I hung it in a good spot. I need to adjust it some. 

Thinking the biggest thing I need is just to hook my dust collection up to all the machines. But anyway this should also help I hope. 

54C39A13-E37B-4637-8A74-10A2825C1A95.jpeg

GRRRRRR!! You've got waaaaay tooo much room. 

53 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

GRRRRRR!! You've got waaaaay tooo much room. 

I sure wished I felt like I had too much room.. LOL.. But.. that said.. I know how you feel because back in 2012 when i put this shop up.. I only had a little 24 x 24 pole barn that I had to share with all the lawn / garden tools / tractors / kids bikes / and all the car repair tools sandblasting equipment etc etc.. Usually had to spend a half day moving stuff out to get a car in if I needed to do car repairs etc.. and at that time.. my woodworking tools consisted of.. a palm sander.. and a cheap table saw that I had for a long time.. my DeWalt 788 was parked in the house.. and I scolled inside... when winter comes around.. sometimes wish it were still in here,  :)  .. But the kicker was.. no sawing during TV time.. and.. no sawing when the kids went to bed... while scroll sawing generally isn't noisy.. in a quiet house at night.. well it was frowned upon... Many times I go out and saw at 1-2-3 am ... so I can spend time with the family during the daytime etc.. or play here on the village :) 

Kevin you will absolutely  see how much dust it will collect. A dust collector is only good for collecting bigger particles. That will collect those nano particles that will get in your lungs. Have had mine for over 20 years and have changed the main filter twice since I had it I have vaced it out many times but there will come a time you need to change the filter. Not sure what kind of primary filter is on that one but mine is a plastic mesh so I am able to wash. The secondary filter which is the main one is cloth pleated. Some of those the primary filter is a basic air conditioner filter so easily replaced. When I got mine I noticed the air flow was a bit noisy so I lined the inside with some foam to quiet it and worked well. My big thing is I have a low ceiling so I more or less put it over the work table and won't get in the way. But I did put foam padding around the edges just in case. 

Now they only work well when you turn them on!!!! Mine comes on the minute I turn the light switch on and depending what I do in the shop I will leave running for an extra hour after I leave. As I mentioned in the other thread I am going to put a timer on that thing some day.

8 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Kevin you will absolutely  see how much dust it will collect. A dust collector is only good for collecting bigger particles. That will collect those nano particles that will get in your lungs. Have had mine for over 20 years and have changed the main filter twice since I had it I have vaced it out many times but there will come a time you need to change the filter. Not sure what kind of primary filter is on that one but mine is a plastic mesh so I am able to wash. The secondary filter which is the main one is cloth pleated. Some of those the primary filter is a basic air conditioner filter so easily replaced. When I got mine I noticed the air flow was a bit noisy so I lined the inside with some foam to quiet it and worked well. My big thing is I have a low ceiling so I more or less put it over the work table and won't get in the way. But I did put foam padding around the edges just in case. 

Now they only work well when you turn them on!!!! Mine comes on the minute I turn the light switch on and depending what I do in the shop I will leave running for an extra hour after I leave. As I mentioned in the other thread I am going to put a timer on that thing some day.

I need to wire up a plug near the machine maybe I'll put it on a switch also.. as for right now I just have it hooked to an extension cord.. I been intending to run several outlets up above so I don't have cords running all over the floor.. safety hazard in a shop having power cords all over the floor.. I tried to place tools where they are close to power source and where the power cord doesn't run across a walkway.. 

This air filter came with a remote.. I just put the remote on my saw table and turn it on when I go in to run the saw.. If hooked to my light switch it'd be on even if I'm just  there working on a car.. though I like that idea.. but also my wife would be on me about leaving the lights on after I leave the shop 😂.. and me and her getting on the kids about leaving lights on would then be a double standard, LOL 

Mine has a built in timer as well.. 1-2-4 hour timer..

I too envy your shop size and think your air cleaner will be a great benefit,  but you need to get some insulation and some heat in that shop. I would go stir crazy if I couldn't comfortably use my shop all year long. Put a small furnace and some insulation in that shop so you can comfortably use it all year  I have a window style heat pump that heats and cools my shop (but I'm in NC), and it doubles as my shop air cleaner.

My dust collector is a re-purposed whole house central vacuum unit that I repaired and installed in my shop with a Dust Deputy connected ahead of it to separate out the wood chips and saw dust. It keeps the vacuum's filter from plugging up so well that I never need to clean the vacuum's filter. It works great for collecting the saw dust from the scroll saws, drill presses, sanders, etc. My planer gets used outside with a barrel and fabric cover attachment to collect the chips. My table saw and jointer cabinets collect the saw dust from them and I shovel it out every few months. I also vacuum the shop floor with the unit and have added an extra inlet port out through the shop wall so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it. This isn't the best arrangement for a shop dust collector, but I don't have the room for a real shop dust collector. The vacuum unit and Dust Deputy had to be located in my shop's attic.

Charley

8 minutes ago, CharleyL said:

I too envy your shop size and think your air cleaner will be a great benefit,  but you need to get some insulation and some heat in that shop. I would go stir crazy if I couldn't comfortably use my shop all year long. Put a small furnace and some insulation in that shop so you can comfortably use it all year  I have a window style heat pump that heats and cools my shop (but I'm in NC), and it doubles as my shop air cleaner.

My dust collector is a re-purposed whole house central vacuum unit that I repaired and installed in my shop with a Dust Deputy connected ahead of it to separate out the wood chips and saw dust. It keeps the vacuum's filter from plugging up so well that I never need to clean the vacuum's filter. It works great for collecting the saw dust from the scroll saws, drill presses, sanders, etc. My planer gets used outside with a barrel and fabric cover attachment to collect the chips. My table saw and jointer cabinets collect the saw dust from them and I shovel it out every few months. I also vacuum the shop floor with the unit and have added an extra inlet port out through the shop wall so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it. This isn't the best arrangement for a shop dust collector, but I don't have the room for a real shop dust collector. The vacuum unit and Dust Deputy had to be located in my shop's attic.

Charley

Heat is over rated... Cold make you work harder 😂 

No, I have all of the upstairs insulated and have almost enough to get the downstairs ( shop area ) done.. in fact I have a little of the downstairs done.. But... that said.. I'm not real interested in heating the whole shop just yet.. mainly the cost to do so.. and I'm thinking about putting up a wall to block off a small area.. and just heat the scroll saw area up.. I don't need it to be T-shirt warm.. really most times its not bad until it gets below 20F.. I'm thinking I'd probably heat it at around 40-50F would be plenty warm.. and wouldn't cost much to do just that small area..eventually the whole shop will be able to be heated in case I take on another car or tractor restoration or just need to work on a car.. but I won't keep it heated.. 

Actually what I've been doing the last few days is cleaning ( vacuuming the dust off the walls and everything )  hopefully the wife won't see me doing this or she may see I can actually do a deep cleaning, 😂.. then I plan to do a little different shop layout.. and possibly run my dust collecting piping to more of the machines.. Everything I've done in the shop has been temporary because I know I have to do more wiring and access the walls etc. for insulation sooo. my shop has never really been set up... the way I want it to be... just a work in progress..     

I have a two car garage. My small shop is partitioned off in the front right corner of the garage. 8X14. It does not to to the end of the garage because I allowed room for the garage door to open. The shop is insulated. I have a nice window and a small AC unit through the back wall and a small 210V overhead heater. The small area keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

My garage is 30x33 and I use everything but where my wife parks her car. I heat it with a bigmaxx 50,000btu natural gas furnace at 68 to 70 degrees all winter. I have r19 in the walls and r30 in the ceiling. It cost around $120 extra a year on the gas bill. I spend all day out there except the days hosting at the club shop, normally that is 1 four shift a week. 

10 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Heat is over rated... Cold make you work harder 😂 

No, I have all of the upstairs insulated and have almost enough to get the downstairs ( shop area ) done.. in fact I have a little of the downstairs done.. But... that said.. I'm not real interested in heating the whole shop just yet.. mainly the cost to do so.. and I'm thinking about putting up a wall to block off a small area.. and just heat the scroll saw area up.. I don't need it to be T-shirt warm.. really most times its not bad until it gets below 20F.. I'm thinking I'd probably heat it at around 40-50F would be plenty warm.. and wouldn't cost much to do just that small area..eventually the whole shop will be able to be heated in case I take on another car or tractor restoration or just need to work on a car.. but I won't keep it heated.. 

Actually what I've been doing the last few days is cleaning ( vacuuming the dust off the walls and everything )  hopefully the wife won't see me doing this or she may see I can actually do a deep cleaning, 😂.. then I plan to do a little different shop layout.. and possibly run my dust collecting piping to more of the machines.. Everything I've done in the shop has been temporary because I know I have to do more wiring and access the walls etc. for insulation sooo. my shop has never really been set up... the way I want it to be... just a work in progress..     

Kevin, your shop will NEVER be set up the way you want it. I have been through that in my tiny little area a dozen times. I keep coming up with different ideas and added equipment. If I had your space, I'd have an open account with one of the tool sellers for sure.

My shop is 24 x 32 with a upstairs that is 14 x 32..  I bought the expensive styrofoam sheets because there is only room for 4" on insulation up stairs since I want to keep it open rafters for storing lumber in the rafters.... so I bought R15 3" foam sheet.. then topped it with foil both sides bubble wrap.. The lower ( shop area ) I have R19 for some of the shop but not enough to do the whole shop yet..  

Almost went with the spray foam.. and probably should have.. but I didn't want to have to conduit all my wiring etc.. it's been a work in progress..  and like you said Ray.. I'll never have it set up.. I know when I did the wiring.. I put in a lot of outlets.. ( or so I thought ) .. now I want twice as many, LOL.. 

Edited by kmmcrafts

16 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

My shop is 24 x 32 with a upstairs that is 14 x 32..  I bought the expensive styrofoam sheets because there is only room for 4" on insulation up stairs since I want to keep it open rafters for storing lumber in the rafters.... so I bought R15 3" foam sheet.. then topped it with foil both sides bubble wrap.. The lower ( shop area ) I have R19 for some of the shop but not enough to do the whole shop yet..  

Almost went with the spray foam.. and probably should have.. but I didn't want to have to conduit all my wiring etc.. it's been a work in progress..  and like you said Ray.. I'll never have it set up.. I know when I did the wiring.. I put in a lot of outlets.. ( or so I thought ) .. now I want twice as many, LOL.. 

In my small shop, the wall studs are on 20" centers. There are a lot of them for such a small area. I put a double outlet box on every stud at 42" from the floor. I have outlets behind stuff that won't get used at all unless I move what's in front of them. But, they are there if and when I need them. Over my workbench, I have even plugged in six way outlets in order to have enough for all the stuff that I have plugged in. I have a computer monitor and the actual box, that's two right there. I have my Fein plugged in, a small air compressor plugged in, a soldering station, drill press, Dewalt saw, light/magnifier, fan, radio and a 6 outlet strip that powers my two battery charging bases for my drills. I could go on and on. The point I am making, you can't have enough outlets. I put them all on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. My lights are all on a dedicated 15 amp circuit. I also put 2 double boxes outdoors for when I am working on my driveway. If I had a shop the size of yours, I can't imagine how many boxes I'd have. A huge amount though.