Are any of you folks into making wooden gear stuff? Clocks or gizmos?

OCtoolguy

16 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Www.johnwhutchinson.com. This is the website for Dynamo Men and others.  You can contact him about plans but several have been in the scroll saw magazine.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I have only been subscribing for a couple of years so there are a lot of things that I missed. I depend on you folks to keep me informed.

1 hour ago, oldhudson said:

For weights I used copper plumbing pipes, easy to work with and the caps to fit the pipe are in the same aisle at your local big box store. Inside I put lead sinkers from a fishing equipment supplier. The sinkers were too large to fit in the small pipe so ended up use shot. The local hobby store had the brass for the shafts, although I'm sure you can find that stock on-line. My clock has no bearings, wood rides against brass. I did polish all the brass shafts, as noted in my initial posts of the build. But you can use lots of other materials. One Genesis clock I saw on-line used rocks. 

image.thumb.png.68b9dbc47f97e719f9e20e1f424b79b8.png

I have built three clocks on request by the SSWWC staff. They were all very enjoyable to build. Two were designed by Brian Law the third by Alfred Mifsue.

The first was a pendulum and weights driven clock, I still sell a metal hardware kit for that one. The second was a spring driven clock called the flying pendulum clock. It is absolutely fascinating to watch and a bit more challenging to build. The third one is electro-mechanical. It has a magnet and electronics to drive the pendulum. All three are in this book.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Making-Wooden-Gear-Clocks-6-Cool-Contraptions-That-Really-Keep-Time/48926984?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227076878279&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=189507900125&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-293026869742&wl5=9004525&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=48926984&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA8rnfBRB3EiwAhrhBGrf-p35nNjxI3iqilTiAnAV3UNTAy_w-mkDpTbfqYv18sNuUj88L8RoCjmsQAvD_BwE

Gear Clock-3.jpg

Flying pendulum Clock.jpg

DSC_0023_fused.jpg

5 hours ago, Rolf said:

I have built three clocks on request by the SSWWC staff. They were all very enjoyable to build. Two were designed by Brian Law the third by Alfred Mifsue.

The first was a pendulum and weights driven clock, I still sell a metal hardware kit for that one. The second was a spring driven clock called the flying pendulum clock. It is absolutely fascinating to watch and a bit more challenging to build. The third one is electro-mechanical. It has a magnet and electronics to drive the pendulum. All three are in this book.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Making-Wooden-Gear-Clocks-6-Cool-Contraptions-That-Really-Keep-Time/48926984?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227076878279&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=189507900125&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-293026869742&wl5=9004525&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=48926984&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiA8rnfBRB3EiwAhrhBGrf-p35nNjxI3iqilTiAnAV3UNTAy_w-mkDpTbfqYv18sNuUj88L8RoCjmsQAvD_BwE

Gear Clock-3.jpg

Flying pendulum Clock.jpg

DSC_0023_fused.jpg

Fantastic craftsmanship Rolf. You are the man! Thanks for the pics and the link.

I just received the two books Making Wooden Gear Clocks and Gizmos and Gadgets. I've only just flipped through them. I saw where metal machines were used. I dismantled my machine shop about four years ago unfortunately. I see a rotary table and dividing head used. That would certainly simplify things as would be a CNC router. Oh well.

38 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I just received the two books Making Wooden Gear Clocks and Gizmos and Gadgets. I've only just flipped through them. I saw where metal machines were used. I dismantled my machine shop about four years ago unfortunately. I see a rotary table and dividing head used. That would certainly simplify things as would be a CNC router. Oh well.

Those are the same two books that I put in my cart at Amazon Les. Let me know what you think of them before I pull the trigger.

48 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Patterns are very nice and well drawn. They are printed on both sides 20X30". Instructions very detailed. Plans are inside an envelope glued to the inside back cover.

Well, with that knowledge, I might just go ahead and order them. Thanks Les. Let me know which project you're going to make.

On 11/18/2018 at 1:24 AM, Tomanydogs said:

@Rolf wow beautiful clocks Rolf. 

@octoolguy thanks for starting this thread Ray. Now I want to build a clock too. 

@TravisI think this might deserve a sub-forum of its own. Seems like a lot of interest here.

Edited by octoolguy

On 11/16/2018 at 9:07 PM, octoolguy said:

Those are the same two books that I put in my cart at Amazon Les. Let me know what you think of them before I pull the trigger.

Check then out at the library for free and see if you like them. If so order them up. My library gets me books from all over the country. I don’t know how many books over the years I have reviewed this way and have save a lot of money.

Just a heads up the exploded view on page 61 of the latest printing of the book. The parts labeling is shifted to the right by about 1/8.  I have made Fox Chapel aware of this. 

Also any changes or correction for the clocks that I was involved with are posted on Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts forum.  https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/magazine-and-members/publisher-feedback 

Or feel free to contact me with any questions. 

For the record I did not use a CNC or Laser for any of the clocks. They were all cut on my scroll saw. 

Rabid Alien the Vietnam book looks to be a very interesting read.

Edited by Rolf

15 hours ago, rustynail said:

Check then out at the library for free and see if you like them. If so order them up. My library gets me books from all over the country. I don’t know how many books over the years I have reviewed this way and have save a lot of money.

Thanks for the tip. We have a wonderful library here but with a city of over 200k people, it's difficult to do anything. I love libraries that aren't crowded or noisy. I yearn for a small town somewhere. Our local library is huge with a theater and a very big genealogy section so it is always a nightmare just to find a parking spot.

Rolf,

I attempted to make the first clock in your pictures as my second project when I started scrolling. I was only able to get it to run for a couple minutes at a time. Made some noobie mistakes. I have the plans for the electro-mechanical clock and that will likely be my next attempt. I have been looking for the electronics to run the clock with and haven't been able to find some place to purchase them. Can you let me know where you got them?

Phil 

3 hours ago, hineps said:

Rolf,

I attempted to make the first clock in your pictures as my second project when I started scrolling. I was only able to get it to run for a couple minutes at a time. Made some noobie mistakes. I have the plans for the electro-mechanical clock and that will likely be my next attempt. I have been looking for the electronics to run the clock with and haven't been able to find some place to purchase them. Can you let me know where you got them?

Phil 

Let's add an @Rolf to make sure he hopefully sees your question.  You can also send him a PM - Private message via the Forum.

22 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks for the tip. We have a wonderful library here but with a city of over 200k people, it's difficult to do anything. I love libraries that aren't crowded or noisy. I yearn for a small town somewhere. Our local library is huge with a theater and a very big genealogy section so it is always a nightmare just to find a parking spot.

The good thing is that people are using the library.!