Crackle Paint Name Plaques

smitty0312

1 hour ago, RabidAlien said:

Nice!!!

Question, is the "crackle paint" something you mixed together or something you bought and just used wood glue to seal it?  Or is it just paint mixed with wood glue to cause the paint to draw back in on itself, causing the crackles? 

Paint the base color a dark color....let that dry completely.....put a thin layer of wood glue or Elmer’s school glue on it, when “tacky” put your top coat on in one direction.....let dry & let the cracking begin.....depends how thick of glue layer for how long it take to dry.....mine took 8 hrs( I used too much!) YouTube has videos on it....

Edited by smitty0312

Very nice!  I tried this a little while back and my paint did not crack.  I didn't have any real dark stain so i used black spray paint.  I put my glue on top after the paint dried.  Waited about 5-10 minutes and put the top coat of paint on, satin latex.  An hour later, no cracks.  Shop temp was around 60° if that makes any difference.  Any pointers that you can throw my way?

Thanks, 

Barry

First of all Dan. I have seen a lot of items with crackle paint on several sights, in stores and many people's houses. It is extremely desirable right now, so you pieces should bring in some extra work for you, I am guessing. Interesting to hear about making your own crackle paint. I thought it was one available from a store in a spray can. I also like the font and extra decoration you made for it. Nice pieces, indeed

Dick

heppnerguy

14 hours ago, flarud said:

Very nice!  I tried this a little while back and my paint did not crack.  I didn't have any real dark stain so i used black spray paint.  I put my glue on top after the paint dried.  Waited about 5-10 minutes and put the top coat of paint on, satin latex.  An hour later, no cracks.  Shop temp was around 60° if that makes any difference.  Any pointers that you can throw my way?

Thanks, 

Barry

Put glue liberally.....don’t let it dry before painting....paint one direction only....don’t go back & forth like normal...hope this helps ya

7 hours ago, smitty0312 said:

Put glue liberally.....don’t let it dry before painting....paint one direction only....don’t go back & forth like normal...hope this helps ya

I tried it again yesterday and it worked.  Not as much "crackle" as yours, but it worked.  My last attempt I used an oval design.  I like yours better and borrowed the shape of your plaque.