3D Patterns

Scrappile

I was on Charles Hand's site looking at another pattern I don't want to buy..... and came across these "3D" patterns of his that I had not seen before.  They are like the ones Alex Fox does.  Thought some that do those would like to have a look.

https://scrollsawart4u.weebly.com/specialty-patterns.html

Edited by Scrappile

Thanks for the link. That gear one has my name all over it. I am getting that one for sure. 

Wish he would make one more manly too without the hearts. I may have to improvise. I left him a note maybe he will do something like that in the future.  

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Right now, I must agree with you Paul. My biggest concern is with the cost of materials. The cost of the materials is what holds me back on a lot of projects. I'm sort of a tightwad in that living on a fixed income doesn't always leave a lot of loose change to buy things for my hobby. There has been a slowdown in my handyman jobs here for a while so I have to pick and choose what I can make with what I have on hand. 

Use BB plywood and do not use hardwoods. I hope you all never do any large clocks because you all will freak out with the amount of wood needed there. Sorry I do not agree with you all. I am in with these type patterns. To each their own. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

Nothing to agree or disagree about.  I am very conservative on what I can spend.  I would pay for the wood that I could build a clock with, something that can be passed on to family, but something like these 3D patterns, would be fun to do, but not a priority to me.  I posted the link because I know there are those that would enjoy doing them and I enjoy seeing them when the post pictures.  I certainly look forward to seeing the one you want to do.

Edited by Scrappile

8 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Nothing to agree or disagree about.  I am very conservative on what I can spend.  I would pay for the wood that I could build a clock with, something that can be passed on to family, but something like these 3D patterns, would be fun to do, but not a priority to me.  I posted the link because I know there are those that would enjoy doing them and I enjoy seeing them when the post pictures.  I certainly look forward to seeing the one you want to do.

If you are talking to me it will be a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggg time before I get to that project if at all this year but it is on my radar and ordered the pattern and I like them and find I can make them and charge just what it takes when selling them and bet they will sell. I make things to sell these days. The projects I make for family are very few these days because I do not have much family left. I do not like doing portraits but that is a whole other thread. 400 cuts on one portrait is not my cup of tea for sure. But again to each their own but to say they take alot of material you really need to learn how to layout patterns and large clocks will test that on you. 

Thanks for the link Paul. I really like seeing them. I book marked it so I can return to it. Maybe someday if I ever get caught up. That will also be after i do "The Apostle  Clock" which something 23" wide. 34" tall and around 10" deep. This is a pattern from the Winfield Collection . And that has to wait for me to get time also. 

1 hour ago, WayneMahler said:

Thanks for the link Paul. I really like seeing them. I book marked it so I can return to it. Maybe someday if I ever get caught up. That will also be after i do "The Apostle  Clock" which something 23" wide. 34" tall and around 10" deep. This is a pattern from the Winfield Collection . And that has to wait for me to get time also. 

If you do decide to make the clock maybe keep a running photo album of the build. I know many people do that when they do the Dome clocks. Lots of wood in that project. At one time those large clocks were something I wanted to try also. But got over it because I have no room for something like that. But add a light package and they are something to marvel at. Today with LED lights easy to do. Hope you add some stained glass in it too. Good luck.

I just took another look at the pattern I bought and the proverbial wheels started rolling. I think I can just take one of the geared wheels and make that a separate pattern and enlarge it some and add some detail items to it. There is more to these patterns than meets the eye. I can even make it into a clock. Man the ideas keep coming. Will have to work on color choices too. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

For some of us who sell (whether a real business or just a self supporting hobby) or want to make a real heirloom gift at any cost it is sometimes hard to remember that $10 worth of wood is a lot of money for some people.  I often times struggle with how to reply to some comments like surfaced in this thread because I am BLESSED and I don't have to count my pennies.

Just saying. 

9 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

If you do decide to make the clock maybe keep a running photo album of the build. I know many people do that when they do the Dome clocks. Lots of wood in that project. At one time those large clocks were something I wanted to try also. But got over it because I have no room for something like that. But add a light package and they are something to marvel at. Today with LED lights easy to do. Hope you add some stained glass in it too. Good luck.

John

Your 100% correct. With a light package added they are impressive indeed. Was also about thinking about adding so type of acrylic to the openings for more of an effect of stained glass. When I get the opportunity to do this I will keep a photo ;log of the build, and share it here. Just a matter of time and how well the business does this year. Last year it grew about 40 % and hoping the trend continues.