Picture Matting/Framing

Scrappile

Not sure where to put this, but I need some advice.  I notice there are some on here that at some time worked at picture matting and framing.  This is an area I'd like to improve in this next year.  I want to learn how to do the matting part.  I  have been looking on the internet, I see cutting tool and mats but I do not want to just buy and then find out I bought wrong.  I'd appreciate some input on what is a good cutter for a do it yourself, home alone guy.  I see the brand name "Logan" a lot for mat cutters,,, they any good and any recommendations for a hobby guy?  I certainly do not need the most expensive, but not the cheap won't work one either... And, I see tool to stick thingies in frames to hold the picture in place.  I have been using small nails, are there reasonably priced tool for this?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Paul, I was in the picture framing business for about 20 years and loved every minute of it.  As you mentioned, LOGAN is a good name for products for the home framer and the mat cutter that Scott has will serve you well for many years.  The big trick, just as in scrolling, is to use only the best sharp blades you can find.  Depending on the thickness of the mat board you are going to cut, you should have a few differnt thickness blades available.  I own a Fletcher-Terry professional mat cutter, but that is only because I purchased it for my business and used it successfully before leasing my computerized mat cutter.  I also use the Fletcher -Terry Point driver for securing the framing package into the frame,  both of the tools i mentioned are very expensive and in my opinion more that the home framer would need.  I kept both of the tools because I continue to frame professionaly at home.  Good luck with your venture, I'm sure you will enjoy the sense of instant gratification when you look at the finish product.  Best of luck in the new year. 

I tried to get into this earlier in the year but it never worked out. Just too expensive. The matting materials and all just seemed to cost too much, It turned out for my just to use wood or foam boards. 

Here is an example of how I do mine. 

The orange part is just a piece of baltic birch like the rest of the picture is.

This little black line around it, the white line and the black border are also cut from the same baltic birch. 

This technique cost maybe $2 or so while the actual matting even if I did it myself would be quite a bit more and not get the same effect. I would still need to frame it after that. 

The frame here is 4 pieces of scrape cut with a miter box and glued on. Sometimes I will just make a black square depending in the size it needs to be. 

matador small.jpg

Hey there,

I have purchased the Logan Matt cutter several years ago. I am very happy with it.  I don't use it every day, however, having a pet urn business I needed a tool that I could depend on for completing my Picture Frame Urn.  The matt cutting tool works perfectly for me. All of the Logan tools are pretty good quality. 

As I stated I have used this tool over the past 5 years and it has not let me down.  I didn't break the bank and is very dependable.

2 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

jamminjack mentioned a pet urn. Just curious to see one. I guess I'm hijackin' this post. My BAD.

Not a problem, I saw a very recent thread on making urns and thought that is where you meant this response to be.   I got confused thinking you were confused...... 😵

• 4 weeks later...