Buying a new saw

Scruffydog

And the saga continues; the saw is going back to be returned. Tried a pinless blade last night. Blade holder is garbage. There are two or three threads at best for the bottom set screw in the bottom holder, about 3mm of stock for a 5mm screw,  and the hole was drilled & tapped at about a 10 degree angle. Not a good aspect ratio. 

There is also no positive stop for the blade, so position is difficult to judge. No matter what I tried, I could not get the blade to stay in the holders. So this machine would be pin type only.

Edit: The design of the blade holders is garbage. There is no way to adjust the angle of the blade, left to right, because there is only the milled slot and the set screw holding the blade. They basically use a left and right hand version of the same holder for the top & bottom, and they are not symmetrical. So a pin-less blade is basically at an angle from the git go, with no way to adjust. So you have a blade at a 1-3 mm angle traveling in a straight line, binding as you try to cut.

The pinned blades on this saw are straight, but are barely held on by shallow groves in the holders. The holders are held on with roll pins instead of solid pins or bolts.

So why didn't I see this in the store? They never have any out on display, they are just boxed up so you have to rely on pictures.

Thought about modifying the Craftsman holders & swapping but I'm not Rube Goldberg and that's too risky.

So back it goes and on to the next saw.

Edited by unclescott
New details to the story

Update: I just ordered the Delta 40-694

After comparing the Delta with the Dewalt I chose to save the 100$. The return policy is 90 days, so if there are any problems I can take it back to the store. I read the reviews / problems / issues here and elsewhere, so I pulled the trigger. It was next on my list anyway. Trying to save some $$ on this venture so there is no harm to try the less expensive saws if I can just take them back anyway. Plus, I am angling for a certain saw, but later this coming summer. I hope to see one in action at the Midwest Show in Dubuque Iowa in August.

The Delta should be here by 1/25 via Free Fedex Shipping to our home. Sorry if this saga is boring to some. Thanks to all for the help.

18 minutes ago, neal560sl said:

You will absolutely love the new Delta.  I couldn't see the need to spend the extra for the Dewalt either. After having used my new Delta and used my Brother in laws Dewalt, I see no difference at all. 

Again you'll love it!

I sure hope so! I wouldn't say my time spent on the Craftsman was wasted, because I learned a lot. It will go on the shelf as a backup, just in case. The Menard's saw was very nice, except for the blade holders. I like the light and the blower, the table size and the minimal vibration. It's just the inability to hold pin-less blades that was a deal breaker for me.

Have you ever had to lube the bearings on your machine, as some have had to do? My saw is on track to get here tomorrow. I have off so that is good.

Edited by unclescott

On 1/23/2019 at 7:23 AM, unclescott said:

Update: I just ordered the Delta 40-694

After comparing the Delta with the Dewalt I chose to save the 100$. The return policy is 90 days, so if there are any problems I can take it back to the store. I read the reviews / problems / issues here and elsewhere, so I pulled the trigger. It was next on my list anyway. Trying to save some $$ on this venture so there is no harm to try the less expensive saws if I can just take them back anyway. Plus, I am angling for a certain saw, but later this coming summer. I hope to see one in action at the Midwest Show in Dubuque Iowa in August.

The Delta should be here by 1/25 via Free Fedex Shipping to our home. Sorry if this saga is boring to some. Thanks to all for the help.

Not boring at all. This is the info people need to make educated choices.

42 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Unfortunately it always takes longer if we wait for something.

Yep, problem. FedEx apparently can find my house to deliver a package addressed to someone else at a different address but not to deliver my saw.

Today I got someone's package, but was told that delivery was attempted but unable to be completed due to a "bad address" which upon checking was the correct address.

Translation: The driver couldn't figure out to read their gps. Perhaps their brain froze up.

#smoldering

Supposed to be here Tuesday now. Yeah, right. This is why we do not use FedEx at work. Ever.

Edited by Scruffydog

A few years ago my friend bought something and Fed Ex was to deliver it.. they did something similar and in the end.. my friend ended up having to go to them to get it because they couldn't find his house, LOL  In his case.. there is a North and South to his road.. and the way its set up.. logical thinking would be he is on the North end... which yes he was on the north end of the South... but he was also about the last house possible on the north end of the south... yeah kinda confusing but you'd think daily mail people and whatnot would know their route... My friend just told them to hold it and he would come to Fed Ex to pick it up, LOL...

They almost sent the item back as un - deliverable..Not sure of your situation.. but.. you might ask if it can be picked up at their terminal... maybe able to get it on Monday instead too... Just an idea..   

Yeah, we are supposed to get 12" of snow on Monday. Plus, their terminal is 1 hour away. So I'll give them until Tuesday. They have my phone number and instructions to call me if they get lost.  Then, of course, Wednesday is supposed to be even colder. I just hope after bouncing around in three or four trucks it doesn't arrive broken. We'll see.

1 hour ago, meflick said:

Glad it finally arrived and you get the day off tomorrow.  Enjoy and let us see what you create.

"The best laid plans of mice & men oft go astray." My bride informed me when I arrived home tonight that the dishwasher has water in the bottom so that became job1. The saw stand will have to wait. 

Hopefully I can have something put together in a couple of days.

So far tho the saw looks well made.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, Scruffydog said:

Yep, problem. FedEx apparently can find my house to deliver a package addressed to someone else at a different address but not to deliver my saw.

Today I got someone's package, but was told that delivery was attempted but unable to be completed due to a "bad address" which upon checking was the correct address.

Translation: The driver couldn't figure out to read their gps. Perhaps their brain froze up.

#smoldering

Supposed to be here Tuesday now. Yeah, right. This is why we do not use FedEx at work. Ever.

UPS and Amazon are just as bad. It's not the company, it's the drivers who are either overworked or not fluent in the language.

17 hours ago, Scruffydog said:

"The best laid plans of mice & men oft go astray." My bride informed me when I arrived home tonight that the dishwasher has water in the bottom so that became job1. The saw stand will have to wait. 

Hopefully I can have something put together in a couple of days.

So far tho the saw looks well made.

If you haven't already fixed your dishwasher, check out the model/serial number on youtube. There is an easy fix for many of them with that problem. I had to fix one myself, that's how I know.