Scroll saw tension question

lindseyp

Hello, I am fairly new to scroll sawing and I am currently working with an 18" Porter Cable variable speed scroll saw that is being lended to me.  I've used it for probably 6 hours or so, but today I went to use it and I was struggling to get my tension correct with a plain end blade and something broke.  Whenever I try to run the machine, the tension instantly releases.  This has broken two blades, and no matter what I do I cannot tighten or loosen the tension and get it to hold when I run the blade.  I am not sure if I broke it by applying too much tension earlier on, or how to fix it because I do not know exactly what is wrong.  I am waiting for a response from Porter Cable, but in the meantime are there any suggestions or does anyone know what I did wrong/what piece I broke?  Everything looks like it is not broken, but I do not completely understand the mechanics behind the tension of a scroll saw.  

3 hours ago, nickp said:

Is it possible that you may have loosened the tension handle too far and may have lost the crown nut on the bottom side of the upper arm, in line with the post holding the blade tension handle...?  (see part 263T in parts list and diagram)

I don't think that is the issue because the saw is relatively new, only been used for about a month now and all of the parts are intact.  I am not sure if I tightened the blades too much, or somehow damaged something holding the tension in place?

I had a PC for a couple of yrs,I started to have that trouble as well.I found it was 2 special bolts located on the side upper and lower,it will take an allen wrench,sorry I forgot the size,the top is coverd by the name plate.When I adjusted them the machine stopped slipping and ran quieter.but it is only s short term fix,it will be needed  reguarly .

7 hours ago, lawson56 said:

I had a PC for a couple of yrs,I started to have that trouble as well.I found it was 2 special bolts located on the side upper and lower,it will take an allen wrench,sorry I forgot the size,the top is coverd by the name plate.When I adjusted them the machine stopped slipping and ran quieter.but it is only s short term fix,it will be needed  reguarly .

Okay I will try that! Could you point me to what part exactly it is on this manual?  Thanks

https://pdf.lowes.com/useandcareguides/000999375004_use.pdf

Sorry,no I don't have mine anymore One is behind the plastic cover that says Porter Cable,The other is directly below that one at the bottom,They look like allen screws,I cant remember what size,Your owner's manual calls them Special Screws if I remember right.I hope this helps Sorry  I just saw your attachment on page 25 look for 36F2 And you will see the screws I,m talking about.Sorry I took so long in getting back to you.😀

Edited by lawson56

On 6/2/2020 at 11:46 PM, amazingkevin said:

Well being new is one thing! I wore out a saw a month before the warrenty expired and they sent me a new one free. It wore out in 1 month.hopefully yours is a quick fix!!!

@amazingkevin, you probably wore those saws out because you can cut a mountains worth of trees in about two days. 😂