Number 2 of Jim's Americana Series

Dak0ta52

2 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

This is my second from Jim Blume's Americana series and I plan to cut at least one more. Like the first which was a wagon wheel, this is cut from 1/4 Maple ply stained natural with multi coats of spray clear gloss sanded between each coat. The back is 1/4 Pine. The frame is cut from a 1X Pine board that I actually tried out my new router for the first time. The frame is stained with and antique oak. I'm posting two pics. One of the single finished project and another with both I have cut. I feel they complement each other.

20211224_172041.jpg

20211224_172218.jpg

Amazing work. Big fan of the framing. It draws your eyes to the subject. 

5 hours ago, Jim Blume said:

Awesome work and presentation. The 2 of them do complement one another for sure. I believe there are a couple more in that series that would be a nice addition for a collage.

As to trying out your new router, it looks like you have it mastered quite well.

Jim, I can find patterns 1 through 6 and also 15 of the Americana series. Am I missing some somewhere since the numbers jump from 6 to 15? I will probably end up doing all of the series. I'm working on a Steve Good project right now but don't think it will take very long. My only problem is the limited time I have to work on projects. I work second shift and because my shop isn't climate controlled, I only have Saturdays and Sundays to scroll. Of course that is after all the honey-dos have been completed. In the summer I mow about 6 acres because the snakes are bad in our area. At least with a cut lawn, I can see if one is slithering nearby. Also, because of the distance (40 miles) to my mother (89 y/o) I only get to see her on Sundays. I'll usually take her out to lunch, do any mending or repairs she may have, then head back home. Scrolling has become my sabbatical. It's a way for me to relax and have some "me" time.

2 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

Jim, I can find patterns 1 through 6 and also 15 of the Americana series. Am I missing some somewhere since the numbers jump from 6 to 15? I will probably end up doing all of the series. I'm working on a Steve Good project right now but don't think it will take very long. My only problem is the limited time I have to work on projects. I work second shift and because my shop isn't climate controlled, I only have Saturdays and Sundays to scroll. Of course that is after all the honey-dos have been completed. In the summer I mow about 6 acres because the snakes are bad in our area. At least with a cut lawn, I can see if one is slithering nearby. Also, because of the distance (40 miles) to my mother (89 y/o) I only get to see her on Sundays. I'll usually take her out to lunch, do any mending or repairs she may have, then head back home. Scrolling has become my sabbatical. It's a way for me to relax and have some "me" time.

I'll make sure I get them all to you. I may have not loaded them all up in the files here.

YES. Keeping up with the Honey Do List is essential to one's survival. I'm retired so I was thinking I'd have more time to work in the shop. Sadly however, my Honey Do List has turned into a scroll, a never ending one too. LOL

We don't have snakes up here nor grass this time of year, but I'm getting tired of shoveling snow. It's keeping me from working in my shop.

On 12/28/2021 at 2:23 PM, Dak0ta52 said:

I put up all of the Americana Series patterns I could find earlier today. Enjoy the ones you like.

Also, if you have any other ideas or images you would like to see made scrollable. don't hesitate to reach out. Happy to assist where and when I can.

4 hours ago, Jim Blume said:

I put up all of the Americana Series patterns I could find earlier today. Enjoy the ones you like.

Also, if you have any other ideas or images you would like to see made scrollable. don't hesitate to reach out. Happy to assist where and when I can.

Thanks Jim. I downloaded the stagecoach last night and tried printing it off. I usually open it in Inkscape and change the stroke to red but for some reason I couldn't get it to change. Also, I have a 11 X 17 printer and could only get it to print as 8 X 10. It was printing at original size and was able to print the pattern in sections. I feel certain the printer issue is me and my printer. Anyway, I think the stagecoach would be a great centerpiece for the Americana series.

Thanks for the patterns. I'm sure I will eventually get to each and every one... if I live long enough! 🤪

9 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

Thanks Jim. I downloaded the stagecoach last night and tried printing it off. I usually open it in Inkscape and change the stroke to red but for some reason I couldn't get it to change. Also, I have a 11 X 17 printer and could only get it to print as 8 X 10. It was printing at original size and was able to print the pattern in sections. I feel certain the printer issue is me and my printer. Anyway, I think the stagecoach would be a great centerpiece for the Americana series.

Thanks for the patterns. I'm sure I will eventually get to each and every one... if I live long enough! 🤪

I'll send it to you in red. Also, if you download Adobe Reader, you can print any sized pattern although it will be in sections with guide marks so you can line up the sections. Let me get that to you in red. BRB.

Her you go DakOta52. I did both the patterns. I'm going to do the cropped version on a piece of live edge cherry, and only have 12" in width to work with.

As to changing the color on Inkscape, I believe the problem was that the pattern was in gray. I just tried it and had to fist changed the pattern to black and then when I loaded it on Inkscape, I could change it to red.

This computer and technology stuff keeps me realizing why I need my grandchildren to help me do things with my phone.

Western, Stagecoach, RED (Cropped Version).png

Western, Stagecoach, RED.png

Jim,

These are great patterns and some great cutting by everyone.

I have been opening the patterns as PDF and then printing in poster. Then taping the pieces together. You mentioned guide marks. How do you get these? Is there a better way to use smaller paper to get the bigger prints?

Is everyone using sprial blades when cutting these?

Thanks

For some reason I can't get my printer to print the stage coach pattern to its full size. It's an 11 X 17 printer but even after doing all the necessary settings it only prints the area of an 8 1/2 X 11. It doesn't matter, I've already joined them together and have the pattern ready to apply to a nice piece of wood. 😁

4 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

For some reason I can't get my printer to print the stage coach pattern to its full size. It's an 11 X 17 printer but even after doing all the necessary settings it only prints the area of an 8 1/2 X 11. It doesn't matter, I've already joined them together and have the pattern ready to apply to a nice piece of wood. 😁

Which pattern? I'll check to see what size I posted it.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:27 PM, jamieline said:

Jim,

These are great patterns and some great cutting by everyone.

I have been opening the patterns as PDF and then printing in poster. Then taping the pieces together. You mentioned guide marks. How do you get these? Is there a better way to use smaller paper to get the bigger prints?

Is everyone using sprial blades when cutting these?

Thanks

I get the little guide marks on the multiple pages using Adobe Reader. Not sure about other programs. The guide marks sure help to line up the multiple pages on the larger patterns. Some program I used prior to Adobe didn't have them and it was hard...at least for me.

I cut most of what I cut with straight blades. Been using them for, ah, let's just say a few years, so I'm used to them and I like the crispness I get. I only use spirals for extremely large pieces.

4 hours ago, Dak0ta52 said:

Check "Default Printer"

17 hours ago, Jim Blume said:

Which pattern? I'll check to see what size I posted it.

It's the stage coach pattern. I've done everything to the printer that I know to do. It prints out the Americana series fine on the 11 X 17 paper but when I print the stage coach from Inkscape, it only prints an area of 8 1/2 X 11 on the 11 X 17 paper. I have the document settings correct in Inkscape. I was able to print it out and tape it together in six sheets so I have the pattern ready for wood.