New Excalibur Question

Yollie

Are the new Excaliburs that bad? I am looking to buy a scroll saw and my brain hurts from researching. I am new but am of the mind that a good tool can help a newbie learn and poor one can make one give up . The problem is I have Platinum taste and kool-aid budget (not to mention paying off my table saw 3 more months). 

I apologize as I may be asking more questions about saws. I have been researching new, used, old, Excalibur, Dewalt, Hegner, Hawk and the one I really want Pegas. If there were a Pegas store local without shipping might be an option for me...how do I want this when I have never scrolled before? The thing is I have bought lesser quality tools before and then had to re-buy and ended up paying more than if I'd just bit the bullet. 

Me, 60yo (just turned)..lol..learning on my own. Any and all comments appreciated.

Welcome to the Village.  It is very hard to answer since you did not say where you live.  What I can tell you is the new Excalibur is not great saws.  It is a poorly re-engineered Chinese knock off of the original. King scroll saws are true continuation of the Excalibur design.  If I was buying a new saw today I would but the Pegas.  Woodcraft stores in the US sell the King and many stores should have a floor model.  Klingspor which has stores in NC sell the Pegas and may have a display model.  If you near Dayton, TN Art Crafters of Dayton is a Pegas dealer.  

1 hour ago, Yollie said:

I really want Pegas. If there were a Pegas store local without shipping

Its my understanding that Klingspor's Woodworking Stores carry the Pegas in stock at some of their stores be worth giving them a call. I was looking at picking one up when I was up in that area on vacation but ended up finding a used one down here in Florida.

I have one of the newer China made Excaliburs.. My advice.. is stay away from them. Pay for the Pegas.. OR King as has been mentioned. Woodcraft stores sell Pegas, though I don't know if they put them out on display or have them in stock? Maybe call your local stores to see if they have them on hand on display etc. Honestly they are basically exactly like the King other than they do have a more robust bearing inside the saw that is a wear point on the other saws after a lot of hours use.. and the blade mounting system is more robust on the Pegas. As for appearance and function.. I think both saws would be really comparable.. in my mind a weekend hobbyist would do just fine with the King or other like saws.. I think if you was doing a production business type setting I'd go with the Pegas, Hawk, or Hegner.. for saw reliability etc. or do as some of the others and just plan to buy a new replacement every few years. LOL

DeWalt saws are really pretty nice saws for the money.. in a production type setting they only last a couple years but great budget saws for a beginner. Especially if you ad the Jim Dandy Easy Lift arm lifter to it. If you're mechanical inclined and can feel comfortable taking one apart and adding grease to the bearings on the Dewalt saws.. they can last a really long time. The type of work one does can play a roll in what saw to buy. If you're going to be doing angle cuttings.. I'd go with one of the King or Pegas type of saws where the table stays flat and the saw head tilts.. makes angle cutting so much more enjoyable.. in that case don't look at anything besides King or Pegas in my opinion. 

I purchased a Excalibur 16" 6 years ago directly from my local Woodcraft in Greenville SC and had it shipped to the store so there was no freight charge. I believe there is a Woodcraft in Raleigh on Captial Blvd. You may want to talk with them. I would expect they would do the same if the Pegas is not in stock. I believe my saw was made in Tiawan and has been reliable though I eventually replaced the blade hold downs with Pegas. They work great! I can't speak to the other models mentioned. I went from the stone age to the space age when I sold my old Craftsman and bought the Excalibur. The angle head is a real plus. It's always better to focus on the joy of cutting rather than the "could a, should a" of a tool that doesn't perform. 

21 hours ago, Yollie said:

Thanks, I am in Fayetteville, NC but can hit Raleigh, Cary, Durham with no problems.

There is a scroll saw club that meets at the Klingspor Cary location the first Sunday of the month at 2:00.  Maybe you can check out the saw and club at the same time.  I would call the store to see if they have one on hand.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:38 AM, NC Scroller said:

There is a scroll saw club that meets at the Klingspor Cary location the first Sunday of the month at 2:00.  Maybe you can check out the saw and club at the same time.  I would call the store to see if they have one on hand.

The next scroll saw club meeting will be in Cary at Klingspor’s on Sunday May 1st at 2pm. You are welcome to attend. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:40 AM, Yollie said:

Thanks, I am in Fayetteville, NC but can hit Raleigh, Cary, Durham with no problems.

I am just north of Spring Lake on 24-27.  I have an older Excalibur 21 and a Dewalt 788 set up if you would like to check them out. 

Edited by Roberta Moreton