Jump to content

fuzzyscroller

Member
  • Posts

    40
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fuzzyscroller

  1. Thank you I will find an easier way from everyone's suggestions thanks
  2. oh yes I was thinking a drill press would be better for the fragile buts. I dont have a shop area, just my apartment, but i my be able to get a press kit for my hand held. Thanks for the suggestion I will check them out soon
  3. hey Dan i am curious what drill bits do you use for scroll saw fret cuts? I bought some from Harbor freight but the small ones keep breaking, I need a high quality small but set, what do you suggest?
  4. OH yes the guy who introduce it to me was turning bowls on a lathe and if memory serves me right we or i turned one of that species. He was telling how they don't get much bigger than 12" in diameter and if you found one 16 you're doing good. Did you give away the cane made from Osage? I would love to have one made from that species. I do use a cane for my bad left hip.
  5. oh yes I turned on bowl years ago a very good mentored me in that, I enjoyed it. I cut a rose out of this and not sure what I want to do with the rest of it.
  6. well im not sure this is considered compound cutting but I did order pegas blades and I will attach it to flat piece and use masking tape to secure it to the dowel more so.
  7. So, when I was learning to turn bowls on a lathe I was introduced to a species of wood; Osage orange, aka, Hedge apple. It has yellow tinted flesh, some times will contain a red streak cause by I do believe if I remember correctly, a bacteria that gets in the tree. I was told this was such a valuable wood the native American Indians, they would trade two horse for one bow made from this species. it is very hard, burns extremely hot and medium dense wood. One of my all time favorite species to work with. I shared a picture of the piece I found I forgot I had, but now I am not sure what project to use it for. I could cut couple small projects then find something really nice for the rest of it.
  8. oh yes I am waiting on the correct blades I ordered and I will mount it to flat piece so it will be stable. The name is horizontal and at this point I am not sure if it will be mounted or not, I thought I would show to very god friends of mine I know in person. So as you can see in this photo I will be cutting the inside of the letters out, I may have to redo the letter because these were done hastily by gluing them on sticky paper then putting that on the dowel, I have had the dowel for a while I finally decided to try this project with it. Thanks for the advice, I may try the packing tape for extra security also.
  9. Well as I was going through old patterns last night I found one from that magazine, so I googled it and found a web page dedicated to their magazine but only to subscribe to it. I was curious as to why but in the search i found this thread here and thought I would check I would check it out. Now I understand this is from several years ago and I am late to the game, I am just wanted others to know what I found. Thanks and have great day scrolling.
  10. no it is not, its only one piece of wood, a dowel rod, but I did order some pegas blades. Thank you, I have never done compound cutting but I do want to try that very soon I am just waiting on those blade to arrive, I have not done this hobby in so long I forgot how vital it was to use good blades. Thanks
  11. well it is pine I believe, I am not sure where I got the dowel but it is about 1 1/4" diameter and yes there are some very sharp corners in the font for the name. I did try to clamp it down with some home made V shaped mounts, but the clamps were not quality. so I could screw it down on scrap piece thanks for the advice. I know this will be a challenge being my first time cutting something like this and I maybe should wait until I had a better machine. This DeWalt DXVS4502 acts like the older Deltas. thank you again for the advice I will try that.
  12. So I want to cut out some ones name a round wooden dowl, I am curious as to what blade to use? I am only asking because only recently have I discovered there is a different blade for thicker material. I think if I can remember I only have #5 flying dutchman, I am not convinced it is worthy of the cut, it being older blade. Or not fresh. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  13. yes I saw it for first time on Amazon? then I found it at Lowes and thought it would be as well as the older model DW788 but it was more like the older Delta 16" I first bought to cut my teeth in the skill.
  14. The first Dewalt i had I used for several years it never gave me any trouble. I did buy in 1999, I think the newer ones are less reliable for long time use. I have noticed that most of the new saws event he entry levels , such as the Bauer, are all designed the same which is exactly how the first Dewalt I bought was designed. So, knowing this I am steering away from the newer models of the DW788. The one i have now, its DeWalt 18" #DXVS4502?; but it feels and operates like the older Delta's. That was the first actual scroll saw I ever purchased. I know they are both owned by the same mother company. Just my two cents on what I have noticed lately.
  15. Can this method also be used on an aluminum allow scroll saw table? I am curious because it feels smooth but it may be smoother if I use the wax on it.
  16. fuzzyscroller

    DeWalt DW788

    So this brand and model was the second I have ever used. I fell in love with it. And I was able to fine tune my skills. what I enjoyed most was the tension lever was up front; found that very convenient when doing fret work. I enjoyed the table being iron. it made for great working space. The stand made a world of difference in its performance. I gave this 4 stars because it is the best I have ever used and recently I bought the smaller version, the DXVS4502, and I only give it 2 stars. I found it inferior to the D788 in many ways, first of all; the fact that it does not have iron table, there is no major tension lever, there is only fine tune handle to tighten up the blades. And when I do tighten up the blades it don't always get as tight as I need it. and no stand it does make more noise than the D788. It feels like Dewalt took a black and decker painted the yellow and black and sold it as theirs.
×
×
  • Create New...