Introductions

jowshu

Hi everyone!! As a frequent visitor to SSG I signed on to SSV the first day and I'm a member of several other sites as well so some of you may have seen me around. I'd like to thank Travis for this great idea and site!!!

I've been scrolling about 3 years now after being intrigued by the random magazine I'd pick up here and there. Well as luck would have it my son joined Cub Scouts and we needed to build a pine wood derby car which gave me the reason I needed to go by a scroll saw (at least that' what I told the wife :lol: ). That saw (Ryobi) was a miserable PITA and now sits collecting the sawdust off of my 788. I use it to teach my kids how to scroll and it will get some more use next month when the scout den comes to my workshop to work on their derby cars this year. I really like fret work and would like to try intarsia someday. I have made a few patterns of some of my photos as that's one of my other hobbies. I made a pattern and memorial portrait of our cat that we had to put down this past year which I'll post sometime soon. I've been predominately making gifts and would like to start selling some things this year.

Don

Hi Don,

We're glad to have you on board. I'm glad you like the new digs. I've really enjoyed your album. Scrolling is perfect for scouting. Not only the pinewood derby (which I've placed a few times when I was a scout), but for other woodcrafting too. From roughing out blanks for carved tie slides, to basic woodworking. Plus its about as safe of a power tool you can find. I bet you could even come up with a tie slide pattern exclusively made on a scroll saw. That would be really cool. The kids would really get a kick out of that. I look forward to when my son is old enough for scouts. That would be a lot of fun. Besides, it'll give me one more excuse to buy more tools. ;)