Hi Everyone!

KtownScroller

Hello - I go by the name KtownScroller. Some of you know me by my real name Rick. I have been scroll sawing for about 9 months. I learn something new every day. I have tried cutting portraits, animal puzzles, picture puzzles and various patterns that I have gotten from scroll saw magazines. Although I am new to woodworking, I have a strong background in machining, both manual and CNC. My expertise and first love is lathe work and turning. Other than turning I have written CNC programs for lathes and turning centers. Years ago I owned a wood lathe, but gave that up as I found it to be quite dangerous. Using skews and gouges poses dangers not found with industrial machine tools. My second love is cutting gears. I have enjoyed cutting spur, worm and helical gears, as well as sprockets. My machining background fits in well with scroll sawing, because both types of work involve being very creative. Of course scroll sawing does not present the demands found in machining. I suppose that is why scroll sawing is so much fun. I love a challenge and revel in accomplishment. I would love to design and produce a 32 piece chess set. I also like to make goofy gadgets. I hate fretwork and don't have the patience to thread the blade through 100's of holes just to cut a project. I have written a program called "Pattern Calculator 2." The software calculates percentages to reduce or enlarge patterns. This comes in handy when the pattern does not fit the piece of wood. Members of this forum are welcome to a copy of my program upon request. The cost is FREE! Well I babbled enough for now. I hope to participate in interesting conversation here at the Scroll Saw Village.

Welcome Rick! I think you'll have a good time here. Lots of great people here. That's the great thing about scrolling, there are so many different things you can do with such a simple tool. So if threading a blade through hundreds of holes isn't your thing, there's so many other options! Since you're into gears, have you tried making a wooden clock? Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts had a great pattern for a wooden gear clock awhile back. Its definitely on my cut list. I was going to attempt it this summer, but it might go on the back burner.

Anyway, welcome aboard. We're glad to have ya! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome Travis and blame! I think I might have some plans for a wooden clock, but if I recall correctly, it was missing some valuable information. I'll have to revisit those plans again. Yes a gear driven wooden clock would be right up my alley. :) Thanks for link blame. That gear generator is pretty cool!

Thanks for the welcome Travis and blame! I think I might have some plans for a wooden clock, but if I recall correctly, it was missing some valuable information. I'll have to revisit those plans again. Yes a gear driven wooden clock would be right up my alley. :) Thanks for link blame. That gear generator is pretty cool!

You're right. In that issue, some of the parts didn't print properly in the insert. You can find the corrections here, though. If you're interested, there are several articles on SSG on wooden gear clocks. Lots of cool designs available out there.

Hi and welcome Rick.............glad to see you here my friend. I have your program and it's just wonderful...........thank you so much, again, for sharing it with me! I think you will enjoy your time here......everyone is really wonderful and friendly. Lots of really talented folks here too.Christina

Thank you Christina! You are quite creative yourself. In the pattern section I notice that you have many wonderful creations. You are to be commended. I also noticed your burn art. You have a special touch with the burning tool!