Turtle

Rob

Thanks all, especially Russell for the awesome pattern.  It was probably the most challenging piece I have attempted so far.  I'm sure others would improve on my efforts but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I need to work on hiding my access holes a bit.  Maybe spiral blades would help with a pattern like this but I have yet to try them. 

@Len, Rimu is native to New Zealand.   Here is a link to a wikipeda page about it  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacrydium_cupressinum.  It is very common here although now protected and was also known as red pine.  Sapwood is easy to cut but the older heart Rimu can be tough as nails.  I have had pieces catch fire from concentrated seams of pitch in the wood when cutting before now.  Heartwood can come off the saw with a silky smooth and polished appearance however with no further work needed.  It is one of my favourite timbers and I get a lot of it from broken pieces of furniture or old floorboards at the local tip/recycling centre.

Rob