Opinions on painting

Dave Monk

If I paint a project it is usually with a airbrush, the backer is usually done with flat black rattle can after using painters tape around the edges & any other places that wont be seen ,it gives the glue more sticking power on the bare wood. I apply the glue with a 2 inch foam roller to the back of the project & use plenty of clamps while drying ,then a couple of coats of spray satin varnish

I do the same thing you do. Sports themed cutouts are the only ones where I use color. My issue is that some times the glue doesn't hold them together as well.

What I do is mark the spots that are going to be glued and cover them with painters tape and then spray them. after it dries remove the tape and glue it up. You just have to be sure not to tape a part that will be exposed. 

I really don't like to paint projects but people are liking it, especially on sports plaques. I have been painting the backers sports color with a rattle can and  then gluing on my scroll work. When it is dry I put a clear coat over the whole thing. I have had to redo a few projects because of the base paint  coat wrinklied up. I have never had that problem with flat black but I have not found bright colors in flat finishes. I have tried brushing on acrylic craft paint but I am not happy with the brush strokes I get. 

I would appreciate you sharing any paint process you use. dave

My guess is your probably not letting the first coat dry entirely. The clear coat your using (polyurethane ) has that effect on some paints especially if its latex base paint.