Sawing Old School Style - Celtic Heart

hotshot

About once a month, I get to spend time in a craft store, holding down the fort, so to speak. Usually there is some dead time, so I take a manual saw (called a hand frame) and try to cut coins old school style. This is far harder than the scroll saw I usually use, but I'm getting a little better. All the inside cuts were done this way, and I cut the outside and tried to smooth my goofs on the inside with the normal saw when I got home.

So if you look closely, this particular celtic pattern has a heart incorporated into it.  Found the image google image shopping

post-1770-0-15975700-1472341690_thumb.jpg

post-1770-0-43859600-1472341712_thumb.jpg

About once a month, I get to spend time in a craft store, holding down the fort, so to speak. Usually there is some dead time, so I take a manual saw (called a hand frame) and try to cut coins old school style. This is far harder than the scroll saw I usually use, but I'm getting a little better. All the inside cuts were done this way, and I cut the outside and tried to smooth my goofs on the inside with the normal saw when I got home.

So if you look closely, this particular celtic pattern has a heart incorporated into it.  Found the image google image shopping

attachicon.gif2.jpg

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Beats a sharp stick in the eye.Nice work.Did you use bees wax or something else as a lubricant.And what kind of time on the hand cut and machine cut

Did you use bees wax or something else as a lubricant.And what kind of time on the hand cut and machine cut

I've tried the wax before, but couldn't really tell any difference and it obscured the line, so I gave up on that.  It took 3 hours by hand, mainly because I had to rest every so often.  My arm as the motor sucks.  Not sure how long it took on the EX, but it was much faster and better.  I lose time when I'm doing these.

Edited by hotshot

I've tried the wax before, but couldn't really tell any difference and it obscured the line, so I gave up on that.  It took 3 hours by hand, mainly because I had to rest every so often.  My arm as the motor sucks.  Not sure how long it took on the EX, but it was much faster and better.  I lose time when I'm doing these.

Me too .everybody wants to know how long it takes to do my scroll work.I just do it and forget to log in my time.Boy if i spend 3 hours on something that small it had better be in gold lol By the way i like your choice of hand saw .I looked at all i could find and you have the best one!

Randy, have you ever tried cutting a Canadian quarter? If you have, is there any difference between the two Canadian or American coins? Is one any harder than the other on blades? I might give this coin cutting thing a try, I'm asking these questions so that I know what coin I should start with the U.S. one or. the Canadian one?

Len

Len

Randy, have you ever tried cutting a Canadian quarter? If you have, is there any difference between the two Canadian or American coins? Is one any harder than the other on blades? I might give this coin cutting thing a try, I'm asking these questions so that I know what coin I should start with the U.S. one or. the Canadian one?

Len

Len, I have not tried any Canadian coins.  That quarter has a lot of steel in it, so it might be interesting to try to cut.  If you give it a shot, let me know how it goes.