Finishes for Trivets (hot plate holder)

Sam777

Sam it is not even recommended to put a hot plate or pan on any wood surface, finished or unfinished. Those trivets are made for cool items like baskets of bread and things like that and then any finish is good to go. Again I like Danish oil because it has that low volume of polyurethane in it to protect and can easily be repaired if need be. If you are putting hot plates or bowls out then use something like a ceramic tile insert in it. You would not put a hot plate on your wood table or at least I hope not. Those are my thoughts. 

Sam it is not even recommended to put a hot plate or pan on any wood surface, finished or unfinished. Those trivets are made for cool items like baskets of bread and things like that and then any finish is good to go. Again I like Danish oil because it has that low volume of polyurethane in it to protect and can easily be repaired if need be. If you are putting hot plates or bowls out then use something like a ceramic tile insert in it. You would not put a hot plate on your wood table or at least I hope not. Those are my thoughts. 

I never knew this all the years if read trivet talk here thanks.no hot plates !

I never knew this all the years if read trivet talk here thanks.no hot plates !

Kevin do not get me wrong people do it as you are reading here there are some that tempt fate and maybe get away with it. But wood and heat do not mix no how or else they would make pots out of wood :) I use to make many of those collapsible baskets when they were all the rage and always told people not to use for hot plates and pans. They were trivets. What people do when they make trivets designed for hot things they usually have a center ceramic tile or two of sorts that the pan can sit on and it dissipates the heat better. 

I guess I don't get the don't use a wood trivet for hot pans.   They use cedar planks to grill food.   I have some red oak trivets that we use for hot pans and casseroles all the time.   They only have a oil based stain on them.   Works for me.    

My words no one else said it. If anyone wants to use their beautiful wood trivets for hot plates go right ahead. I ever sell any more my warning will always stand.  :)