2/24 Scrollsaw wise....

Christina

Weird you should bring this up!!!

I was just putting up shelves and doing other fun things getting ready to tear into the warmer season in my garage workshop and I was smiling to myself about a couple of incidents that involved 'little me' and my dad many years ago!

Best story and best advice was the day he left me to saw up some 2X4's into 'firestops' for a garage addition we were building. I was about 7 at the time and instead of leaving me a sample he just hollered a measurement and I wrote it down wrong! When he got back I had about 20 pieces of great firewood and a very long face since I had measured the space AFTER doing all the cutting using my 'wrong measurement'.

He looked at my long face and obvious fear of punishment and smiled. "Is that the first mistake you ever made" he asked. Of course I said no and he said, "Well you can darn well bet it will not be the last one you ever make!"

We then went to the lumberyard and replaced the 2X4's and even stopped for ice cream on the way home!

God bless the ol' man!

GrampedStl

The most idiotic thing I've done huh where do I start :rofl: . Well I was in a hurry (imagine that) a while back finish up a couple things, I was brad nailing a couple pieces together, and just rested the edge of the wood on my bench. IT slipped off and I shot the brad nail through my thumb nail into my thumb, it was only a 5/8" brad. It didn't hurt going in but it did coming out :curse: . Now I make sure the pieces are on a firm surface. It wasn't the first time I've been shot though, but it was the first time because I was being careless. :cry:

clayton dont feel bad i used to work as a roofer using a stanley/bostitch nailing gun once while working i was of course in a hurry and laying the shingle down when my left foot slipped well you guessed it i managed to nail myself to the roof went clean thru my left ring finger i dont recall ever being in so much pain shattered the tip of the bone. i used a flatbar to pull the nail from the sheeting then went to the hospital where the cut the nail out but if you've ever seen a coil of roofing nail there held together with fine wire which acted like a barb on hook when they tried to pull it out ended up they pulled the finger nail.

but we live and learn i guess after that i've always been very careful using my nailing guns

blame

What a wonderful story GrampedStl.......thanks for sharing it with us. He sounds like a real treasure..........especially to a young kid just learning!

Clayton..........Blame......OUCH! OMGoodness I know that had to hurt!

The worst I've done so far is to forget to tighten the tension on the blade and the blade broke and scared the crapola out of me! But I'm sure I'll do much worse eventually. :oops:

Christina

I put a brad nail through my finger too. It was only last summer! I was holding a piece of wood against a rafter and shot through the board and into my hand. My hand recoiled, which pulled the brad out. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was bleeding. The actual puncture didn't hurt so bad, but I think I bruised the bone. That hurt!

In college, I was a scenic and prop designer for several theatre companies around town. I was at the shop really late one evening and I was ripping a piece of wood on the table saw. My thumb brushed up against the side of the spinning blade. I didn't get cut or anything, but I tell you what, I had so much adrenaline running through my system with that close call. I turned off the saw, put down the board, and went home! That was tooooo close for me.

As far as scrolling mishaps? I picked up a scroll saw magazine two years ago thinking it would make a cool casual hobby. Little did I know I'd get this hooked! :?

OMGoodness Travis that was a close call.........you were one lucky guy in that moment in time! I would have gone home too lol. As for the brads and nails thru the fingers and hand.............OUCH OUCH OUCH.....that's one I hope I never do. I was carving one time and the knife slipped and cut the palm of my hand almost to the bone in places........never want to do that again either! I thought I would never heal over that one. And it's really miserable if you can't use one hand. I learned a valuable lesson...........cut away from your body! I have a tendency to want to cut the wood like I'm peeling a potato!

Christina