Fretwork Box Advice needed

BeerBrewer

I'm planning to build a fretwork box for my son's upcoming wedding, but I can't seem to find any plans.  So I'm going to design it myself but I have a few questions before I do.  

The box will be used to hold their wedding cards during the reception, so I'm thinking it should be about 16" x 8" x 8".  Does that seem about right?  

I'm thinking that I should use birch baltic plywood...does that make sense?  Is there something better to use?  

I'm not sure if I will paint it or finish it.  

As for the fretwork pattern, I was planning upon having my daughter (an artist) sketch something out that incorporates their names into the fretwork.

Thanks

My opinion, and only an opinion, for a box, especially for a family member, I would is hardwood.  Plywood has the strips of the layers of ply that to me is not pretty for a formal box plus it does not have pronounce pretty grain.  This will be a box they will cherish and maybe be passed on to future generations.  IMHO.

Go to this sight and scroll through the patterns, look at the boxes. http://www.finescrollsaw.com/order.htm  They are mostly made of hardwoods.  I have cut out the "Five Dragon Box", (have not finished it yet).  I use hard woods and there is nothing fragile about it.  If you click on one of the boxes, it shows a larger picture plus when you scroll down there are pictures of the box that others have made.   Most are lined with something which also adds strength, but it is not necessary.  I like lined boxes because you never know what people will put in them and small items would fall out if not lined.  Again this is all just my thoughts, and yes BB will work fine, ,,,, but..  would not be my preference.

Edited by Scrappile

Using a hardwood will be much stronger than BB Bob. For a special event as this my preference would be a hardwood as Scrappie indicated. It'll difinitely be a keepsake item. As an example I've attached a memory box I had completed awhile ago. It measures 5 x 8 x 2 ½. Your's of course will be larger and I'm just in the process of completing another one similar to size you have in mind.

Also I would come up with your own design. It'll be more personal and so much more meaningful. Just my two cents worth. Wishing you the best with your final decision.

post-20386-0-51276500-1487195644_thumb.jpeg

post-20386-0-93954600-1487195662_thumb.jpeg

post-20386-0-38937700-1487195739_thumb.jpeg

post-20386-0-22301300-1487195764_thumb.jpeg

Using a hardwood will be much stronger than BB Bob. For a special event as this my preference would be a hardwood as Scrappie indicated. It'll difinitely be a keepsake item. As an example I've attached a memory box I had completed awhile ago. It measures 5 x 8 x 2 ½. Your's of course will be larger and I'm just in the process of completing another one similar to size you have in mind.

Also I would come up with your own design. It'll be more personal and so much more meaningful. Just my two cents worth. Wishing you the best with your final decision.

Ron, I'm sorry, but I disagree with your statement, hardwood would not be stronger then BB plywood. It would be more susceptible to breakage, especially if cut fretwork style. 

Len

My take on the box would be to do it in hardwoods because it would look classier but do an overlay of fret work with lettering of some sort in a different colored wood. Wedding are suppose to be classy events. Plywood is fine for some things but not a box of any kind in my opinion. Do 45 degree corners with some splines in accent colors. Dress it up. There are a ton of examples on Google.