Update to Forum - Share new feature or ask how to find something here

meflick

While reviewing the forum and some of the posts about the changes to the forum with the update - I had an idea - while we wait for Travis to "fix" some of the things behind the scenes - why don't we share features and tools that we find/figure out so others can know too.  Also, we can use this same thread to "ask" where something is or how it works if we need help with it.  That way we help each other out in learning how to better function in the updated forum.  Sound Good?

For example - I used to could mark the sub forums "read" but had not seen how to mark the entire site "read" - (not saying it wasn't there - but I never figured it out. ;)) Now, you can easily mark the entire site as "read"  Look up along the top right below the search area - there is now a "Unread Content" and "mark site as read"  (its also at the bottom of the page).  If you click on the "Mark site as Read" - it will now do that.

Also, check out the "Unread Content" -  click on that - you then get a page with all the content you have not yet "read" -  It will show you posts from last hour, earlier today, then yesterday, etc.  then there is an area above the posts where you can add in choices on what you want to show  - content type, read status, ownership, etc. to let you pick and choose some items to see.  Then just below that bar to the right is a "Results as" and you can choose "Expanded" or "Condensed" - click on each to see the difference in what is shown.  Expanded shows the text of the post made.  Condensed shows  the post title and original poster and who replied to it but not any of the actual reply.  I think this will be helpful to me as when I come onto the forum, I used to hit every sub forum to see what was newly added since I last visited - now I can just go here and see and read.  I think I would use the "expanded" results.

58f8b97898958_ScreenShot2017-04-20at9_36_30AM.thumb.png.077f32fdc37aedc57c1d13f8782ed1ef.png

Now - about those notifications though . . . . .

14 hours ago, meflick said:

While reviewing the forum and some of the posts about the changes to the forum with the update - I had an idea - while we wait for Travis to "fix" some of the things behind the scenes - why don't we share features and tools that we find/figure out so others can know too.  Also, we can use this same thread to "ask" where something is or how it works if we need help with it.  That way we help each other out in learning how to better function in the updated forum.  Sound Good?

For example - I used to could mark the sub forums "read" but had not seen how to mark the entire site "read" - (not saying it wasn't there - but I never figured it out. ;)) Now, you can easily mark the entire site as "read"  Look up along the top right below the search area - there is now a "Unread Content" and "mark site as read"  (its also at the bottom of the page).  If you click on the "Mark site as Read" - it will now do that.

Also, check out the "Unread Content" -  click on that - you then get a page with all the content you have not yet "read" -  It will show you posts from last hour, earlier today, then yesterday, etc.  then there is an area above the posts where you can add in choices on what you want to show  - content type, read status, ownership, etc. to let you pick and choose some items to see.  Then just below that bar to the right is a "Results as" and you can choose "Expanded" or "Condensed" - click on each to see the difference in what is shown.  Expanded shows the text of the post made.  Condensed shows  the post title and original poster and who replied to it but not any of the actual reply.  I think this will be helpful to me as when I come onto the forum, I used to hit every sub forum to see what was newly added since I last visited - now I can just go here and see and read.  I think I would use the "expanded" results.

58f8b97898958_ScreenShot2017-04-20at9_36_30AM.thumb.png.077f32fdc37aedc57c1d13f8782ed1ef.png

Now - about those notifications though . . . . .

that is going to be a big plus! good thinking ,Roly helped me with one.

Check out your profiles.  They are much cooler than before.  I also turned on a feature where you can upload a cover photo, just like on Facebook.  And to step it up a notch, if you have either your Facebook or Twitter account attached, you can set it to automatically update your profile picture and cover photo (depending on which you have set to update).  I think that's pretty cool.  Plus, you have your regular profile info, your activity feed, your status updates, and your gallery/albums.

Another neat feature I found, you can tag other members.  All you have to do is type the @ symbol, then start typing their name.  A popup window will show up with the list of folks with that name.  Just click on the person you want to tag.  When you post, their name will link to their profile.  If you hover over their link, a popup with some basic stats shows up.  Plus, they'll be notified that they were tagged in a post.

Thanks @wombatie, this is a fun thread.  I'm finding stuff all the time. :)

10 hours ago, Travis said:

Another neat feature I found, you can tag other members.  All you have to do is type the @ symbol, then start typing their name.  A popup window will show up with the list of folks with that name.  Just click on the person you want to tag.  When you post, their name will link to their profile.  If you hover over their link, a popup with some basic stats shows up.  Plus, they'll be notified that they were tagged in a post.

Thanks @wombatie, this is a fun thread.  I'm finding stuff all the time. :)

Great - this feature is available on another forum I have participated in and I love it - and had missed not having that ability here.  Glad we now have it.  It's better then having to "quote" the person so they see a notice.

@amazingkevin what do you think about that?

Did you know you can easily mark a thread or comment that you post to notify you of replies?  Just click on the little box on the bottom right of the comment box so that the area changes to a green background color and a check mark next to it. See it in the screen capture I've included.58fa348066808_ScreenShot2017-04-21at12_32_33PM.thumb.png.4393128826b6625437d2f51fb14ad781.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have a question in regards to the "Notifications" - on the old setup there was a way to "delete" notifications - one at a time or all of them - I have two pages of "notifications" (don't worry - I have checked them all :D) but I don't see any way to "delete" them once I have seen and reviewed them.  Anyone know if you can or not?  @Travis  can we delete notifications still or not?

I think I read in one of the other forum related to the upgrade.  I think the answer was no.  They cycle out by themselves.

Found it: "I don't think you can delete them.  I think they just cycle through now.  So new notifications push off the old ones.  When you click the Notification's button, you should see the newest ones at the top.  Once you look, the pink button with the number should disappear.  Let me know if that's not working for you."