Help With Clock

Good morning everyone. I am working on making a clock from scratch and I am a little lost on buying the clock movements. If my wood is 1/2" thick, what shaft length would I need? A lot of what I see says 1/2" total shaft length. Does that mean it will fit 1/2" wood or that's as long as the shaft is and I need something bigger? Never done this before so any help would be great? Thanks Villagers!

I have plans to make a clock out of real wood, only made clocks using vynal records so far.

I think you need to swap into carpenter mode first and cut/chisel the place for the clock mechanism  to a thinner size [from the back] so that the shaft fits, then back into scrollers mode for the rest of the clock

Bob

Edited by savethebeer

You don't have to carve out the back of the wood if you do not have the tools and equipment.. but they do hang on the wall closer to the wall if you do carve out the back.

A tip to carve out the back if you do not have a router... I have a large set of forstner drill bits.. I sometimes use ( I believe ) a 3" forstner bit to drill out the area where the clock will set to set the clock into the wood some so it's not sticking way out the back making the clock hang out away from the wall some.. but like I said.. you don't have to do this as you can buy whatever length shaft you need..

Here is a guide for wood thickness to help you decide on shaft length:

1/2" For 1/8" thick material

5/8" for 1/4" thick material

3/4" for 3/8" material

7/8" for 1/2" thick material

1" for 5/8" thick material

1-1/4" for 3/4" thick material

This was taken from the web site where I buy my clock motors..

Hope that helps you,
Kevin

56 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

I bought a Klock Kit?  (spelling??)  They sent 2.  Neither one kept time.  IF I were to make another clock, I would seriously look at clocks in a WalMart, Target, KMart, etc.  They all seem to keep good time, at a fraction of the cost.

jerry

Actually, the best clocks to get are the USA made motors.. and the only place I know to get them is from clockparts.com.. this is for just the motors... clock inserts and  fit-ups are a whole nother story as I have yet found a good one in anything larger than a 1-7/16"

In General, I have had good luck with clock works from Clockit and Cherrytree. They are usually 5/8" thick and 2 1/8" square. You may want to consider using 2 pieces of 1/4" wood, cut out the dimensions of the clock on the back piece with a scroll saw and glue the 2 pieces together. That will give you some recess. The mounting hook is usually flush with the back of the clock so you will need a little room for the wall hook. This may make sense if you are not concerned with the side appearance of the wood. Regarding the shaft length, the external portion of the shaft is threaded for mounting so the length should be the thickness of the wood plus the thickness of the nut and washer and any dial you may use. You can always use a washer/s on the inside if it is slightly too long but you will lose some of the depth if you do that.

Edited by munzieb
more info

What I did regarding the clock mechanism itself is buy the cheapest standard clocks from an international furniture manufacturer [from Sweden I think] and gently take the hands off the front then unclip the motor from the back and discard the rest. €2 as opposed to €12 but the shaft would only be long enough for a vynal record