Henger Saw Blade Tension??

I'v been looking at a couple heger saws on craiglist. I see some of the saws have what looks like a tension lever near the top arm where the blade clamp is.. then I seen a saw with no lever at all.. How does one adjust the blade tension on these? From the knob at the back of the saw? If so that seems like a real pain for doing fretwork..

Kevin

Hi Kevin yes you adjust the blade tension with the knob in the rear of both saws.   However the one with the lever by the blade clamp is used to relieve the tension for doing fretwork. You pull the lever toward the operator to relieve tension, loosen blade clamp to remove top of blade push through fretwork hole then clamp blade and push lever back to tension blade. 

Edited by stoney

Okay thank you.. 

So basically the one with the lever is the same as using my Hawk.. unfortunately the one I was interested in doesn't seem to have that release lever and also seems to be a single speed.. I thought I would grab it up for $135 but maybe I will have to think on it or pass..

Kevin  

1 hour ago, Jim Finn said:

I have two Hegners. Both have the blade tensioner at the rear of the saw.  Newer models have it at the front.  I would not recommend a Hegner for doing fretwork.  (I do not do fretwork)  The main advantage of owning a Hegner is that they are durable and parts are still available for 30+ year old saws.

I have to disagree with you somewhat Jim.   Hegners with the front tension release  work as well for fretwork as any bottom fed only scroll saw.   That being said I do wish Hegner saws could be top fed.   I do agree that they are very durable and parts are available.

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Okay thank you.. 

So basically the one with the lever is the same as using my Hawk.. unfortunately the one I was interested in doesn't seem to have that release lever and also seems to be a single speed.. I thought I would grab it up for $135 but maybe I will have to think on it or pass..

Kevin  

I would think any Hegner saw in good condition would be worth $135.00   It may be worth that just to use for a backup.   JMHO

I'm with Al on this.  I do all kinds of fretwork with my Hegner.  My EXcalibur also has the tension knob in the back and a tension release in the front, and I do fretwork with it.  Both work fine.  Hey Charles does all his fretwork with a Hegner. And if I could only keep one of the saws I would keep the Hegner.  of the reasons Jim says, they are durable and I'm sure my daughter will enjoy it long after I am gone.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I'm with Al on this.  I do all kinds of fretwork with my Hegner.  My EXcalibur also has the tension knob in the back and a tension release in the front, and I do fretwork with it.  Both work fine.  Hey Charles does all his fretwork with a Hegner. And if I could only keep one of the saws I would keep the Hegner.  of the reasons Jim says, they are durable and I'm sure my daughter will enjoy it long after I am gone.

I'm lost but I've had a great time just like i did with Chinese saws so I'll stay with what i know.

I don't really need another back-up saw.. as I have my Hawk 220VS as a back-up..  so I will pass on this saw I think..

I will wait until I find a deal on a saw that has some good features for scrolling fretwork.. I like the robust built saws.. and really just want to try a Hegner.. I have owned a lot of saws over the years.. rebuilding them tuning them etc etc.. just to do a comparison from one saw to the next.. I wait around for the deal that cannot be passed up.. snag it up and  try it out tune it up etc etc.. then sometimes pass it onto another person to use.. I don't usually make any money doing this.. in fact I typically put more money into a saw than i get out of it.. but it's the experience of just trying a different model or brand to see how I like them..and just the hobby of tinkering with older equipment.. love to tinker around with things as much as I do scroll sawing...  owned a not of saws... sold a lot of saws.. owned a few that I'd never own again..  owned a few that if the price was right I would buy again etc etc..  Just never had the opportunity to try a Hegner or a Excalibur yet.. I typically don't pay more than $100 for a saw.. but have went up to $150 a time or two for used saws..

Kevin

The Hegners are great saws and the majority of our club members use them. If you will be doing lots of fretwork I would want the one with the front quick tension release, but it is still a bottom feeder which can be a pain on larger projects.

For me I want the ability to top feed on the large projects so for me it is the Hawk G4 26 (2005)

I would pass on this saw although it would be a great portable for demos.

Edited by Rolf

I have owned the Hegner 18v for 28 years and do mostly fretwork with it, I do not have a problem with bottom feeding but wish they would  come out with a top feeder. This saw is a complete work horse and has held up over the years. As others have commented all of the parts are available but pricey which I have a problem with as I think it is taking advantage of Hegner owners. Example: bellows replacement part sells for close to $50.00 plus shipping for a molded plastic part.

Mike