Dewalt 788 blade tension issues

I was doing some cutting over the weekend and all of a sudden when I put tension on the blade I was not getting the clicking action I normally feel, and the handle went all the way to #5. I am planning on taking the saw apart this weekend and giving it a bit of a tune up, thanks to Rick Hutcheson's website, and see about removing the 'rod knock' that I hear once in a while. I'm just wondering if this is something I should concerned about or if it is something that happens with normal use.

Thanks for reading this. Feel free to offer some words of wisdom if there are any.

Dang it. Sorry for the double post. I blame the keyboard.

Edited by Grumpy Old Bear

I'm assuming that you have a DeWalt 788 saw

Your blade grips could be slipping. Sometimes the set screw opposite the blade clamp screw  works it's way out or wears and needs replacement. I use blue Locktite on my blade grip set screws to keep them from backing out. Another possibility is that you aren't holding the upper arm down slightly when tightening the blade clamp (upper or lower- the last blade clamp to be tightened). Knocking can be caused by the upper rod like Rick says on his website, but it can also be a sign of worn bearings or the bolt through the rocking arm at the rear of your saw. This bolt frequently loosens and causes all kinds of saw noise. I now clean the threads with alcohol and then use blue Locktite on the threads. Two posters have had this bolt break on them and mine cracked once. One of the posters replaced his bolt with a stainless bolt.

Charley

Thanks for the tips Charley. I know the problem is not the set screws or the blade clamps being loose. I hope it is an easy adjustment to the tension lever. I hope the knocking noise is not bearings or a bolt that are bad. I can handle an adjustment, but replacing bearing or anything more might test my wallet and my skill set.  We'll see.

Thanks again. 

44 minutes ago, CharleyL said:

I'm assuming that you have a DeWalt 788 saw

Your blade grips could be slipping. Sometimes the set screw opposite the blade clamp screw  works it's way out or wears and needs replacement. I use blue Locktite on my blade grip set screws to keep them from backing out. Another possibility is that you aren't holding the upper arm down slightly when tightening the blade clamp (upper or lower- the last blade clamp to be tightened). Knocking can be caused by the upper rod like Rick says on his website, but it can also be a sign of worn bearings or the bolt through the rocking arm at the rear of your saw. This bolt frequently loosens and causes all kinds of saw noise. I now clean the threads with alcohol and then use blue Locktite on the threads. Two posters have had this bolt break on them and mine cracked once. One of the posters replaced his bolt with a stainless bolt.

Charley

I'm the guy that replaced that bolt with Stainless steel on my Delta.  Never had a problem since.  It's a stupid design flaw.  The entire load of the saw is on that one undersized bolt.  IF you take yours apart, take that bolt to any hardware store to match the size & thread.  Cheap insurance, if you are digging into the saw anyway.  Stainless is a harder steel.

jerry

Take off the top where the adjustment knob is and you will see a little ratchet thing that you can adjust.  I have mine set so it doesnt even get to #2.  used to crank it all the way and it would not apply enough tension.  10 minute job. 

Edited by crupiea