Midwest Scroll Saw and Woodworking Trade Show

Sycamore67

For those of you who were disappointed, or expected more then you got, etc. - can you share what you were disappointed in or what you expected but didn't find?  I'm curious to know what others would think make a show a "good" show versus not.  I understand that some of you were disappointed in not being able to try the Seyco saw for example.  That is feedback that I hope gets Back to Ray at Seyco.  I would think it would be important to let people try out a new saw you are trying to sell, especially when it is a complete "new" saw on the market.

Like Sycamore67 said there are very few successful trade shows, hobby shows. It does take a huge effort to put one together. For those of us that were lucky enough to get to the Fox Chapel open houses saw the effort that they put into the show. It consumed their entire staff plus a small army of volunteers, for long periods of time plus the setup and at the end of the show make it all go away again. and in the mean time they still have to publish magazines and books. All three that I went to were very well attended and I even got to present, which was a really great way for me to meet many of you. 

Melanie, I am surprised that Ray did not have a saw for trial use. It could be that he only had the one and it was sold. At the Fox Chapel events he had a saw setup for use as dis Hawk, Hegner and PSwood. The local club also had saws like the Dewalt available for trial use. This made for a great time to check out all of the saws capabilities and drawbacks for someone looking to buy a new saw.  

How was the turnout at the event? How well was it advertised? If the turnout wasn't good the vendors will not come back.

Our club Long Island woodworkers .org has an annual show, It is now primarily a showcase for our members work. With very few vendors most of which are local, wood  and tool suppliers.

Regarding vendors at any of the events they have to pay booth fees, travel expenses, lodging, food and salaries to whomever they bring.  And then hope that the attendance and sales cover their investment.  For many like the scroll saw manufacturers that is tough, but they need to be there to showcase their saws. 

Another problem most scrollers tend to be "frugal"  

Even the the annual show in Saratoga NY  which has some of the most amazing work displayed  by its members, has had fewer vendors the last couple of years. with no scrolling presentations. ( I didn't go this year so if am wrong someone please correct me) 

And when I have money in my pocket ready to buy lots of toys and there are non, it really bums me out. 

Edited by Rolf