Trying Max Thickness for Hawk BM

hotshot

I typically use the Hegner for Puzzleboxes, but, the Hawk BM series claims to go 2.5", and have a longer stroke, so I thought I would give the Hawk a try and max it out.  Here I use Padauk glued to Maple, and am using the Pegas #3 from a batch Hawkeye graciously let me have to try out.  The kerf on the Pegas is pretty freaking tight for staying true at 2.5", so this is a very very good test.  I did have to switch out "Thumb Screws" to find one that wasn't oriented in the down position when tightened (or I wouldn't have had clearance).

I love making these puzzle boxes, I'll post the completed box if I don't mess it up.

------Randy

Edited by hotshot

1 hour ago, hotshot said:

I typically use the Hegner for Puzzleboxes, but, the Hawk BM series claims to go 2.5", and have a longer stroke, so I thought I would give the Hawk a try and max it out.  Here I use Padauk glued to Maple, and am using the Pegas #3 from a batch Hawkeye graciously let me have to try out.  The kerf on the Pegas is pretty freaking tight for staying true at 2.5", so this is a very very good test.  I did have to switch out "Thumb Screws" to find one that wasn't oriented in the down position when tightened (or I wouldn't have had clearance).

I love making these puzzle boxes, I'll post the completed box if I don't mess it up.

------Randy

Nice movie but especially a great cut!

2 hours ago, hotshot said:

------Randy

Nice box Randy. The Pegas blades are just about all I use now. Do you have any problems with  Padauk bleeding it's color on to the other wood? Seems I remember reading it does.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:07 AM, hawkeye10 said:

The Pegas blades are just about all I use now. Do you have any problems with  Padauk bleeding it's color on to the other wood? Seems I remember reading it does.

The Pegas blades are crazy aggressive.  I'm used to having to push my way through thicker pieces, but these blades are pretty awesome.

The Padauk does bleed, even when you sand two pieces that are glued together flush, you will get a little color on your light wood, but I don't worry about it.  it is what it is.  I suppose I could have put a little poly on the Maple before gluing them together.  Padauk is so beautiful, it is my favorite wood.

Edited by hotshot