Preventive Maintenance and tightening for Excalibur 21

Blaughn

For those who have been using an Excalibur saw for years, are there any routine maintenance steps you would recommend in the way or lubrication, fastener tightening or replacement parts?  I am loving my Ex21 and would love to keep it in top operating order for as long as possible.

Bruce

Edited by Blaughn

This same basic question was asked just a day or so ago.. still right on the first page.. You can download a manual etc for the EX's online.. there is a link in the other message about 10 - 12 messages below this one..LOL

But to really answer the question.. I don't think there is really much maintenance needed on these saws.. I would think if anything it would be something to do with the tension lever.. the bearings etc are just needle type bearings that have grease in them.. I suppose one could take the whole saw apart and add a little grease every couple years or something... required.. not really.. they expect you to run it until you have a bad / noisy bearing and the replace the whole part with new bearings.. same basic design as my DeWalt saw.. as far as the insides and the arms etc..  

Pretty much said in my manual when I had it, to keep it clean, brush it off once and a while and use it.  My manual said it had sealed bearings no maintenance to do there, I do not know if you can add grease to sealed bearings.  I don not know much about bearings.  I did, (not mentioned in the manual maintenance section) every so often remove the clamp thumb screws, remove the tip, clean it and make sure it could turn pretty easily, clean the threads on the thumbscrew and in the clamp (pipe cleaner works) and add a small dab of "anti-seize"  the threads of the thumbscrews... both top and bottom ones.  Remember you are screwing a steel screw into aluminum.  That needs care.  Wax the table top once and a while.   Check for loose bolts, screws and nuts.  That is about it.

Edited by Scrappile

Not to mention, adding a dab, and just a dab, of Vaseline (or similar) to where the white tensioning lever meets the aluminum. When I bought both of my EX's,  there was a dab of white grease there.  Every so often, I'll clean that area and add clean Vaseline . I like Scrappiles suggestion of cleaning and anti-seizing the threads. 

28 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Not to mention, adding a dab, and just a dab, of Vaseline (or similar) to where the white tensioning lever meets the aluminum. When I bought both of my EX's,  there was a dab of white grease there.  Every so often, I'll clean that area and add clean Vaseline . I like Scrappiles suggestion of cleaning and anti-seizing the threads. 

Well I like your suggestion also, I forgot and I did do that.  I will also follow the same routines on my Seyco.

Edited by Scrappile

Bruce, if it ain't broke don't fix it, if this is a new saw it needs no maintenance work!!!! The only thing that I would do to the saw, is to add a good coating of paste wax to the table surface. If you start greasing the saw on a regular basis all that you're doing, is giving the dust a place to collect. I've owned and used my EX21 for over seven years, I've never greased or serviced it because it doesn't require it. The only place I've ever greased on it, was the trunnions that's what the owners manual will instruct you to do. The bearings are sealed, and the only way to grease a sealed bearing, is to remove the seal. Otherwise, your wasting your time as the grease but I think your wasting grease and time  won't penetrate the seal on it's own. You can grease the saw if you want, but I think you will be just wasting your time and grease. If you do decide to grease the trunnions, use a white grease you don't want to use a heavy grease on it. I think you will really like this saw, I really enjoy using mine. It's worked great for me over the years, and I've never regretted buying it even though it was quite expensive. I've earned a fair amount of money with my saw, it's paid for itself a few times over. I used to set up at a Farmer's Market every friday, I usually made between $150.00-$200.00 each week. I have a couple of medical issues, and I can no longer attend the Farmer's Market because of them. I wish I could, the extra money I made there sure was a nice supplement to my small  disability pension.

Len

Just now, Scrappile said:

Pretty much said in my manual when I had it, to keep it clean, brush it off once and a while and use it.  My manual said it had sealed bearings no maintenance to do there, I do not know if you can add grease to sealed bearings.  I don not know much about bearings.  I did, (not mentioned in the manual maintenance section) every so often remove the clamp thumb screws, remove the tip, clean it and make sure it could turn pretty easily, clean the threads on the thumbscrew and in the clamp (pipe cleaner works) and add a small dab of "anti-seize"  the threads of the thumbscrews... both top and bottom ones.  Remember you are screwing a steel screw into aluminum.  That needs care.  Wax the table top once and a while.   Check for loose bolts, screws and nuts.  That is about it.

I love anti seize